OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres & Webmaster Announcements    Pottawatomie County,Oklahoma 1897 Sheriff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pottawatomie County,Oklahoma 1897 Sheriff
 Login/Join

posted
Hello ! Hope someone can point me in the right direction to find documents,etc. My Great-Grandfather was William Joseph Dickerson.
He was the 6th sheriff of Pottawatomie County
and known for the capture of Dora Cox.
I've contact the local sheriff's department but they had no luck in finding info on him.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

Posts: 2 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Thu April 13 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm making an assumption that you have tried the Oklahoma Historical Society? Have you tried the Pottawatomie County (Oklahoma) Genealogical/Historical Society? Their URL is <http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok/county/pottawatomie/pott%20recs.htm>. While they don't have an email address, they do have a postal address listed and phone number. They might be able to look in old city/phone directories to see if he is listed. You might also ask them to check any county history books for him. Good luck.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W. J. Dickerson was Sheriff of Pott. County in 1896.
I found this in old city directories at library
ses

Posts: 6 | Registered: Fri December 08 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post