OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres & Webmaster Announcements    Bass Reeves feature of Warner Program
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bass Reeves feature of Warner Program
 Login/Join

<MKoch>
posted
Howdy,

I would like all to know that Board Member Art Burton was featured in a newspaper article in the Tulsa World this morning. It concerns a program he will present on famed territorial lawman Bass Reeves next Wednesday at 11 a.m. in the Conners State College Library Auditorium at Warner. The program is free to the public and will also have re-enactor Baridi Nkokheli appearing. Art has been a long time member of Oklahombres and author of several books and articles concerning Oklahoma's lawmen/outlaw history. I hope several members, friends and others can attend. Best of luck to you Art.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see that, but I can't get away. Any chance it will be recorded?

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, this is a world wind trip for me. I will arrive in OKC on Tuesday morning for the program on Bass Reeves at the Oklahoma History Center at 1 p.m. On Wednesday we will present a program at Connors State College at noon and later that evening we will present a program at the Fort Smith History Museum at 6 p.m. with a reception at 5 p.m. These programs are commemorating the centennial of Reeves death on January 12, 1910. This will be a once in a lifetime type of program. The Bass Reeves statue project in Fort Smith is moving ahead nicely. If they complete the fund raising they plan on putting the statue up later this year I will be flying back to Chicago on Thursday morning.

If possible can you send me a copy of the article in the Tulsa World?

The program at the Oklahoma History Center will be video taped in high definition. I don't know if they will put it in their archives or make it available for public television stations, or any other consideration. I will try to find out and post the response on this site at a later date. I will be advocating and advertising Oklahombres at each program.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught Art's program at the Fort Smith History Museum Wednesday January 13th. He was great and we had a nice crowd. Baridi Nkokheli was great as well. He looks so much like the pictures of Bass Reaves!! I can tell you one thing, if he were trying to arrest me I sure wouldn't put up a fight!!! We are very fortunate to have Art and Baridi interested in the history of our area. Thanks Art!!!

Posts: 49 | Location: Leflore County Oklahoma | Registered: Wed January 03 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post