Appeal records
My great grandfather stood before Judge Parker about 1891 for murder. His name is John Harris. He got into a gunfight with John Griffith in the choctaw nation. He was convicted of manslaughter and was sentenced to 5 years at detroit house of corrections. I have his trial (over 400 pages), but some is missing and I was told that he appealed his conviction and some of it was sent to the supreme court. My question is --where do I write to try and get this information? I have tried the national archives in fort worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 2 | Location: arkansas | Registered: Thu June 10 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Fort Worth branch of the National Archives can't assist you, I'd recommend trying the main NA in Washington DC with your inquiry. The only Supreme Court appeals records that I've come across in the Ft Smith Cases are contained in the actual criminal case files held in Ft Worth.

Good luck!

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.
Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  

© Oklahombres.org 2011