OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres & Webmaster Announcements    Oklahombres - OnLine or Hard Copy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahombres - OnLine or Hard Copy
 Login/Join

posted
I'm relatively new to all this. Could someone tell me if Oklahombres can be found in hard copy and on-line. If can be found in hard copy, where? How does one subscribe, and to where, what is the cost?

I've seen some hard copies while I was researching at the museum in Guthrie, however, I failed to note the date of publication, etc.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
Hello,

My name is Dee Cordry and I am the webmaster and current president of Oklahombres. Oklahombres was started in 1989 by a groupd of historians who enjoy researching Oklahoma'a lawman and outlaw history. We began publishing a quarterly journal/newsletter called the Oklahombres Journal that features research articles written by our members and guests.

The past issues of the Journal are stored wherever we can find room for them, and right now most of them are in my garage. They are not really organized, so to find a copy of one particular issue of the Journal would require more time than I have right now. It is not practical for me at this time to locate back issues and mail them to people who request them. What would be ideal is if a member of Oklahombres who has the time would take over that project so that we could make back issues available to researchers.

Back issues are also available to view at some libraries such as the OHS library in OKC and also at the territorial museum in Guthrie.

We try to have back issues on hand when we hold a rendezvous. We will be announcing our upcoming programs shortly.

At one time I put many of our articles from back issues online. They were free for anyone to view, and were also searchable. But there were some complaints about the articles being free online, and members were paying their annual membership fee at the same time for the printed issues of the Journal. So I dropped that, but have been thinking about putting some of the old articles back online again. It is an issue that the membership should decide as a group.

Our secretary/treasurer is Dennis Lippe, and elsewhere on this bulletin board he has information on how to join Oklahombres. The annual dues are $25, and that basically covers the cost of printing and mailing out the Journal four times a year, plus the cost of this online web site too.

As an organization, Oklahombres is in an exciting time when the interest in Oklahoma history has never been greater. The Oklahoma Centennial is 2007, and, people are more interested right now in the "old west" than ever before. Oklahombres has a fine history of our own, with lots of programs and in-depth research articles since 1989. But our future is bright and we have exciting plans in the works for next year. As with any volunteer organization, we rely on the work of our membership to help keep things running. Anyone who would like to help out would be most welcome. We are always looking for people who can help us plan programs, write articles for the Journal, get the Journal mailed out, etc.

Thanks for asking about Oklahombres and for visiting Oklahombres Online.

Dee Cordry
dcordry@gmail.com
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding back journals of Oklahombres (which are published quarterly) are a part of the collection of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Some back copies are also available from the editor of the journal. Diron Ahlquist is the current editor of the journal and can be contacted at 8200 NW 83rd Terrace, OKC 73132.
The journal is provided to those who have paid dues to join the organization. Dennis Lippe is the current treasurer and can be contacted at Box 10776, OKC 73140 if you want to join up.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cordry & Tower:

Thanks for the information - exactly what I was wanting; will be getting my information off to join the organization. My appreciation.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post