OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Anyone know this fellow (Curtis Green Smiddy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know this fellow (Curtis Green Smiddy)
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reading about the Smiddy family out of Jefferson County, OK. It seems that two brothers, Ennis and Green Smiddy, were involved in the killing of deputy sheriff Louis Harvill in 1928. They were tried for murder but were acquitted. Ennis Smiddy went on to bank robbery and kidnapping, was caught, tried, and sent to Leavenworth, and finally sent to Alcatraz where he died in 1941. His body was shipped back to OK for burial.

But what became of Green Smiddy (sometimes spelled Smitty). The only clue I have run across is a post where it said "he was killed during a bank robbery"; the post did not give a state nor date.

Do any of the history buffs reading this board know by chance when/where Curtis Green Smiddy may have been killed and the circumstances surrounding his death?

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ennis Smiddy was involved in a half-dozen bank robberies while operating with the Jim Clark-Delmare Gang in 1934. He was convicted of robbing the Kingfisher bank and sent to Alcatraz.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Ennis Fay Smiddy: Professional Bank Robber", by R.D. Morgan.

(Source: Oklahombres Journal - Special Edition - Spring 2008 {Vol. 19 No. 3 pp. 1-6}.

Another wonderful story by a dedicated researcher and historian. However, lauding praise on this author is like "throwing kerosene on hot coals"! Ron knows how good he is at this - - Congratulations and "Thanks!" for another exceptional story!

Posts: 191 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ennis Smiddy was my great grandfather and I'm trying to find more information. I would like to get this book by R.D Morgan if anyone could help I would apprieciate it very much.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Thu November 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

This is not from a book, but from an article in our Oklahombres Journal. If you wish to get a copy of just that particular article, write down an address for me to send it and I'll forward it to you. My E-mail address is Packers52@Valornet.com Thanks.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My email is laurensnyder@hotmail.com Thank you for the information and everybody elses help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Thu November 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Green Smiddy, 29, Dies In Arkansas"

Former Jefferson County Resident Is Victim of Gunshot Wound

Funeral services were to be held this afternoon at the Holiness Church in Addington for Curtis Green Smiddy, 29, former Jefferson County resident, who has been living near Russellville, Ark., recently.

Smiddy died at his home near Russellville at 9:05 o'clock last Thursday night of a gun shot wound.

According to information given the relatives, Smiddy had been cleaning a pistol Wednesday afternoon and had placed the weapon in his clothing when he went outdoors to get an arm load of wood.

Smiddy is said to have stooped over near the stove to unload the wood. The pistol fell out of his clothing and struck on the hearth.

In the fall, it was discharged and the bullet struck Smiddy in the abdomen. Relatives were told that he died 32 hours afterward.

The body was sent back to Waurika and arrived there by train Saturday. Frm there it was taken to the home of Smiddy's parents near Addington. The Rangeley-Goodman Funeral Home of Duncan had charge of the arrangements and said burial was to be made in the Duncan Cemetery late this afternoon.

Smiddy was born in Hugo, Okla., removing to near Addington with his parents in 1907. He had gone to Arkansas only recently. Two months ago he married Miss Aileen Gilland of Hot Springs, Ark. His widow, the parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Smiddy, and 11 brothers and sisters survive.

(Source: Duncan Banner - November 14, 1932, p.6)

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Sure do know that name. R. D. Morgan was trying to located his death and thought he was killed in Texas during a bank holdup, I believe. Thanks for finding this death notice.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to finally know the end of Mr. Smiddy. Mike K. and I went through the Duncan papers with a fine tooth comb a couple of years ago but somehow missed the obit..Good work...Ron

posted Hide Post
It is still "possible" that Green Smiddy was shot during a bank robbery, got away, and returned home to die - - hours later. The story told to the family and the media...well, it could have been just that...a story! Who knows - - for sure!?!

I understand that accidents DO HAPPEN; however, how many law abiding folks feel it necessary to be "packing heat" on them, just to retrieve wood for the fireplace. And, wouldn't one think that a guy with Smiddy's reputation with firearms would be more careful.

Naw, it probably happened just like the family and the newspaper reported it. Case closed!

posted Hide Post
Right. True or not, I like the bank robbery story much better...Ron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwayne:
Ennis Smiddy was my great grandfather and I'm trying to find more information. I would like to get this book by R.D Morgan if anyone could help I would apprieciate it very much.

Ennis & Green Smiddy were my Great Grandmother's cousins. Her mother was a Smiddy. My Aunt recently started digging for information regarding the "Smiddy Boys" based on an old story my great grandmother would tell her. That would make them my 4th Cousins.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Tue April 06 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always heard stories of Ennis and Green. They were my great great uncles. My mema and pa have always told me stories about how they were the two nicest guys you would of evr met until you got on there bad side. One night these guys robbed a bank and then got so drunk that they burried the money and forgot the next day where they burried it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sat April 24 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ennis Smiddy was my Great Uncle. His Sister was my Grandmother. My Grandfather and Grandmother (The Parker's)took over the Smiddy farm in Addington.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri April 30 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post