Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arthur "Doc" Barker
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody know where i can imformation on Doc Barker's early crimes? i am creating a timeline/book on 1920's and 1930's bank robberies and the only information i can find on Doc is his time with the Barker-Karpis gang and his failed escape from Alcatraz. I hear that he robbed some stores with Ray Terrill, "Shorty" Williams and Harry Campbell, Was anyone else involved? And do any of these gang members have anything to do with the Jeff Durree gang as Terrill was apparantley did???
any help would be great.
Australian OKlahombres Fan.. John C

Posts: 5 | Registered: Thu March 05 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Johnny the Ghost" - - checkout the following postings, or contact the experts (Mattix, Koch, R.D. Morgan) directly. I'm sure that they'd be more than helpful with your quest.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing in the way of information to help, but here is a link to photos I took of the Barkers graves in the Williams Timberhill cemetary, near Welch, Oklahoma. You are welcome to them, if they are of any use or interest to you.

http://www.cowboydan.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Tombstones

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice photos, Cowboy Dan. Wink I live about 75 miles from where Ma and Fred 'bought the farm', and it's neat to see where they finally ended up! Smile
Rob

Posts: 4 | Registered: Wed September 30 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks very much old west and cowboy dan! you have been most helpfull!
im glad that there is a few books coming out on the Barker/Karpis gang, there seems to be lots of information on their later years (kidnapping/Doc and V.Davis paroled etc.) but I'd like to read more about the period between the Wilmar minnesotta bank job July 1930 and the fort scott bank robbery two years later.
It seems like the Holden/Keating gang just sort of evolved into the Barker/Karpis gang! but i've never heard it talked about. In the few books i've read it is implied that Harvey Bailey, Verne Miller, Frank Nash etc. JOINED the Barker/Karpis gang when in fact it seems Barker and Karpis joined them!
thanx again for your time!

<MKoch>
posted
Hi Barker-Karpis fans,

You may wish to read my latest book: "A Murder in Tulsa: The Sherill Murder Case and the Rise of the Barker-Karpis Gang," published in late 2008. "Mean Men" by Robert Winters has some 1920s Barker information that is good too. There are other books that mention the gang and all the members that were in it at one time or another. Look on Google.books and you'll find most all items that mention the Barker Gang.

Mike Koch

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike-
Are you still working on a Karpis book?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mon January 10 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I have read a fair bit of your Kimes gang book online and I love it, it's very imformative and bought alot of background to characters that where just names to me, all the information i have in my timeline about the Terrill-Barker-Inmann gang is from your book!
will send away for both your books very soon.
looking foward to your next project.

posted Hide Post
Oh by the way, anyone interested in some friendly discussion on 1920's 1930's american bank robbers please visit my facebook group.
http://www.facebook.com/group....=ts&gid=290000051854
It's very hard to find like minded people to share my hobby with me in Australia.

posted Hide Post
Great FB page, Johnny....I just joined! Smile
Rob

Posts: 4 | Registered: Wed September 30 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanx Rob, appreciate it!