OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Is anyone writing the ultimate Barker-Karpis bio?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone writing the ultimate Barker-Karpis bio?
 Login/Join

posted
I thought I'd read that somewhere over the last
year.
Anyone know anything?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mon January 10 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am writing about Karpis.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Wed August 30 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elmore_Lemont:
I thought I'd read that somewhere over the last
year.
Anyone know anything?

You probably have already seen Evoluton of An Outlaw Band, The Making of the Barker-Karpis Gangby Rick Mattix and William Helmer that appeared in VI, #4 Summer 95 and V VII #1 Fall 95 of the Oklahombres Journal (a two part story).

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
An updated and considerably revised version of the Helmer/Mattix Barker-Karpis article appears in our new book, The Complete Public Enemy Almanac, shortly to be released by Cumberland House. There is much other new B-K info throughout the book.

R.D. Morgan and I have also been conducting research into the Barker gang, including the early pre-Karpis years, but have been simultaneously busy with other projects. R.D. is currently finishing up Taming the Sooner State: The War Between Lawmen and Outlaws, 1875-1941, as part of a series for the Oklahoma Centennial. It will include info and rare photos pertaining to the gang.

Bob Ernst and Jack Koblas also have books in the works on, respectively, Lawrence DeVol and Ma Barker.

An article by Mike Koch on the murder of Sheriff C.R. Kelly at West Plains, MO will appear in an upcoming issue of the On the Spot Journal.

Rick Mattix

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very much looking forward to The Complete Public Enemy Almanac (especially new B-K info)
and any projects about "Old Lady" Barker's
boys.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mon January 10 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
Jack Koblas has a Barker book that's supposed to be coming out this year sometime from North Star Press in St. Cloud, MN. I believe it concentrates more on the more familiar later years of the Barker-Karpis gang.

There is a lot of new info in The Complete Public Enemy Almanac, also some new and rare photos.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's some Barker family info for "Johnny the Ghost"!

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently writing "The Barker-Karpis Gang: An American Crime Family". I'm dedicating it to Rick Mattix, who unfortunately left us way too soon.

Posts: 2 | Location: Manchester TN | Registered: Sat May 21 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post