oklahombres.org
Con Kiersey, Deputy Sheriff, Carter County

This topic can be found at:
http://oklahombres.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2876036794/m/1586068445

Fri January 16 2004, 11:51 AM
gtcobb
Con Kiersey, Deputy Sheriff, Carter County
I recently read an old newspaper clipping in a Butch Bridges "This & That" regarding an event in 1931 at Wirt, Oklahoma where Deputy Kiersey was shot and killed and Undersheriff Vernon Cason was wounded. a man hunt followed over three states. two brothers by the name of Davis(?) were the hunted. i could not find anything here under that name.
Fri January 16 2004, 05:34 PM
<MKoch>
William Con Keirsey, age 36, was shot in the chin on December 10, 1930, by D. I. Davis, age 21. Colquitt Davis, age 19, had shot Undersheriff Vernon D, Cason in the stomach. Cason survived his wounds, but Keirsey died the next day. Apparently the bullet that shruck his chin ranged downward, severing his windpipe and passed through his left lung before lodging in his back. Deputy Keirsey was buried on December 12 and was survived by his widow and six children. On the day on Con's funeral, D.I. Davis was shot and killed in a gunfight with police in Wichita, Kansas. Just two days later, Colquitt Davis was apprehended in Hereford, Texas. He was extradited back to Oklahoma, tried and convicted. He was sentenced to life in prison.
Mon June 28 2004, 03:15 PM
<PAT GRAHAM>
I RECENTLY SAW A PICTURE OF THE LAW ENFORCEMENT
PERSONEL AT ARDMORE, OK TAKEN LATE 1920'S OR
VERYT EARLY 1930'S. THERE IS A CLIFF KERSEY
IN THE PICTURE STANDING NEXT TO HALE DUNN. IS
CLIFF KERSEY THE SAME AS CON KIERSEY OR WERE THERE TWO MEN WITH SIMILAR NAMES. PAT GRAHAM
Mon June 28 2004, 03:54 PM
<M. Koch>
William Con Keirsey was a deputy sheriff of Carter County, Oklahoma and was killed at the age of 36 on December 10, 1930. His brothers were Officer, James A. Keirsey of Seminole, Oklahoma, who was the eldest of the family, who also died in the line of duty on November 7, 1929; Cliff, an officer in Wichita Falls, Texas; and Ben, an officer in Durant, Oklahoma. So, Con and Cliff were not the same people, but brothers, and both fine officers.
Tue June 29 2004, 05:34 AM
<PAT GRAHAM>
BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION OF THE PICTURE IN QUESTION I AM WONDERING IF THE PERSON WHO WROTE ON THE BACK OF THE PHOTO WAS RIGHT OF WRONG. IF
I COULD FORWARD THIS PICTURE COULD YOU TELL IF
IT IS CLIFF OR CON? REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I HAVE AN EARLIER STUDIO PICTURE OF HALE AND THE SAME MAN AND NEED A SOLID ID.
Tue June 29 2004, 11:03 AM
<M. Koch>
Hi,

Yes possibly. You can scan the photo and send it as an attahcment. My E-mail address is MJK2852@AOL.COM. Thanks.