New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grover Bishop
 Login/Join

<Donna Gates>
posted
I'm a fourth grade teacher and my students are researching their family history. I have a student who is researching Depty Sheriff Glover Bishop. We would appreciate anything you could provide. Thank you,
gatesd@gore.k12.ok.us

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find a great deal of information pertaining to the legendary Grover Bishop in the book, "The Bad Boys of the Cookson Hills." New Forums Press, Stillwater, Oklahoma

geocities.com/ezlane2002/Homepage

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grover C. Bishop was born on April 1, 1894 in Tennessee or Rogers, Arkansas. In 1917, he was living in Oklahoma where he was a barber. In 1930, he was living with his wife in Tahlequah where he was a deputy sheriff for Cherokee County. He was the Sheriff of Cherokee County in 1942. He died in March 1980 probably in Tahlequah.
**REFERENCES**
-1930 Federal Census, Tahlequah, Ward 2, Cherokee Co., OK, ED#11-16, Sheet#21B
-Social Security Administration Death Index
-World War 1 Draft Registration, #1494, 35-1-4-A
-Oklahoma Supreme Court Network Website, Gordon v. State, 131 P.2D 503, 75 Okl.Cr.356

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 373 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a small child, my family had a cabin in Cherokee Co., Oklahoma on land we purchased from Grover Bishop that was near his home. I remember many times visiting Grover and his wife.

I am looking for an election poster for when he was running for deputy or sheriff.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sun November 12 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a lot of storys about grover bishop are of a man who was a cold blooded killer .sorry, not the man i knew. i am his great nephew junebug. aunt carrie and my grandmother were sisters .as a child this man helped the family . i wouid like a reply.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Fri December 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
see my grand mother was i of 7 sister aunt carrie was married to grover bishop . my dad a grover were like night and day .to you repty of a poster of him there is one in sheriff office in the courty office at thalequah .have a nice day. junebug

posted Hide Post
Dear Shugito,

There is an election poster of Grover Bishop in the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office in Tahlequah. Maybe they could make you a copy.

Have a nice day.

Junebug

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Check out the Tulsa Worlds article on lawman Grover Bishop under the "Tulsa World Oklahoma Centennial." In this article it states he was born in Benton, Arkansas. He died at the age of 89 in 1980.

posted Hide Post
Just surfed across this site. Grover Bishop
was my great uncle, my grandfathers brother.
I have alot of memories, stories,and pictures
of him. If I can answer any questions, let
me know.

Pam Tufts

Posts: 1 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: Sat July 07 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Yes, I would be interested in your knowledge and material. I recently did a program in Sapulpa and was asked to do a story on Grover, so this would be very good. Please contact me at Packers52@Valornet.com. Thanks for your interest.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Grover Bishop was certainly one of Oklahoma's most legendary and fascinating lawmen and I find it odd so little is written about his life. For one thing, he was a very controversial figure. While conducting research in the Cookson Hills I interviewed dozens of old-timers and when asked about Bishop I received very contradictory answers. Passions still run high in parts of Cherokee County as to his true character. Sadly, I suspect folklore has replaced fact in that regard. For example, many stories have him pegged as a ruthless, barbarous man with an obvious bloodlust, while others claim he was a gentle, kind soul, who enforced the law in an even-handed manner. Some assert he killed over a dozen men while others claim five. It all depends who you talk to. As to Tahlequah newspaper archives concerning his exploits I found them unreliable and given to exaggeration. Several years ago I was contacted by a man who was writing a book on Bishop. While I wish him well, I expect he will have great difficulty getting to the truth of the matter after all these years. Irregardless, Bishop does deserve a book. The bottom line is...during the depression-era Cherokee County found itself in great need of a double-tough, steely-nerved shootist to enforce the law and do battle with the legion of bad men operating within its boundaries and Grover Bishop certainly filled that need. In my opinion he stands as an equal to many of the other more well known legendary lawmen found in Oklahoma history.
R. D. Morgan

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my genealogy research for Claude Tyler, who served as deputy sheriff in Oklahoma County as well as an operative for the OSBI, I ran across an intersting story about Luther Bishop (one of the first OSBI Operatives) who was murdered in his home in OK City. Luther Bishop was a partner of my daughter's Great Grandfather Claude Tyler. His (LB) murder is still unsolved.

I am wondering if he was related to Grover Bishop?

Posts: 26 | Location: home | Registered: Mon May 31 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by allnbear56:
a lot of storys about grover bishop are of a man who was a cold blooded killer .sorry, not the man i knew. i am his great nephew junebug. aunt carrie and my grandmother were sisters .as a child this man helped the family . i wouid like a reply.[/QUOTe

I am the granddaughter of Carrie Bishop's Brother. I am working on family geneology and would love to get some family information from you. Thanks and waiting patiently for a reply

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sat September 22 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-...age=gr&GRid=30268013 Grover C. Bishop findagrave memorial

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri April 08 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post