OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Sons & Relatives of Jelly Bryce, Clarence Hurt and Charles Winstead & Whereabouts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sons & Relatives of Jelly Bryce, Clarence Hurt and Charles Winstead & Whereabouts?
 Login/Join

posted
Folks I've posted previously here, and really thank those who have assisted me. Being a retired FBI Agent with a lifelong interest in the gangster era, this has been one of the best sites around for information that I cannot find in FOIA material at the Bureau. A great site for leads, and more and my hat's off to Rick and others.

My question: For members of the Society of Former FBI Agents and others, I'm trying to piece together some names of "Hoover's Gunslingers" and get the retired AGents who may have known them to comment on them. Many as you know, are dying away. I did make one post regarding the retirement dinner of Jerry Campbell by former Agents.

What I'm wondering now is this: (and hoping not to reinvent the wheel) Does anyone know if the son of Jelly Bryce, John, is still alive and accessible? He was a non Agent personnel in our OC office in the early 60's but resigned around that time. I can FOIA his personnel file if he's dead, but not so if alive. If he's accessible, can anyone give some direction on how to contact him?

Secondly, is the son of Clarence Hurt, Jack Hurt, accessible? There is info he went to some local police agency and carried his Dad's gun used at the Dillinger shooting. Supposedly he may have his Dad's gun used during the Karpis arrest also.

I have not found any info that Charles Winstead had children and I have been in touch with the Museum folks in Sherman regarding items of his there. Are any of Winstead's relatives around?

If these siblings etc. have been contacted and interviewed by others, I'd appreciate a lead on where I can find that, whether it's public info etc.

I'm looking right now to provide the Society members any "oral history" the children of these legends have available.

Right now, our interest is getting feedback from those retired and getting old in the FBI relative to the Oklahoma and Texas lawmen who joined the FBI and participated in many of the infamous shootouts et.

If need be, I can be reached personally at: rypublish@adelphia.net

Thanks very much folks.
larry wack
FBI Retired - 1968 - 2003
New York City & Buffalo, NY Divisions

Posts: 22 | Location: new york | Registered: Fri August 19 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in the life of Jelly Bryce should read Ron Owens great book "Jelly Bryce Legendary Lawman" Published by Turner Publishing Company in 2003. I recently read the book and could not put it down until I finished it. According to Ron when he was writing the book he contacted both of Jelly's sons William Delf Bryce from his first wife and John Fel Bryce from his second wife. When contacted both sons refused to cooperate with or assist him. By way of explanation, the older son based his refusal on the fact that he intended to one day write his own book about his famous father in spite of the fact that, by his own admission, he "didn't know (his) dad very well." Although he didn't specifically say so, he got the impression he felt that anything he gave Ron for inclusion in his book would detract from his own intended book. The second son would give no reason for his refusal. Various other relatives proved not only uncooperative but obstructionist. A few did cooperate but they were a distinct minority.

Michael
dukewayne@hotmail.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: Mon July 18 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post