Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constables
 Login/Join

posted
I am working on having Constable Joseph W. Wood, who was killed July 14, 1935, added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Ron Owens in "Oklahoma Heroes" refers to him as "Constable, Oklahoma City." The NLEOM submission form ask for the officer's agency. My question is, what would be his agency if he were a constable today? He was shot at the Fair Grounds in Oklahoma City but I believe the fair grounds were county property so Oklahoma City Police officers had no jurisdiction. It is my understanding that Constables were commissioned by the county and were assigned or elected to be the law in certain townships. I am thinking that Wood's agency for the form should be the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. Would appreciate any information or thoughts on this.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis, Constables, in the time period you're referring to, were officers of the Justice of Peace courts created by the Oklahoma Constitution and they appointed their constables. Co-extensively with the county courts they were examining and committing magistrates in all felony cases and concurrent with County Courts in civil cases not exceeding $200. They could also act on cases in which the penalty was $200 or 30 days in jail. Appeals were to the County Courts. In cities with a population of 2,500 two JP's could be elected. Many states continue to have JP's and constables, so I think you need to put the man's agency as the JP court he was assigned to.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ron Owens states he was a Constable for JP Jack C. Whaler. Thanks Mike for clarifying that for me.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post