OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Lee Shireman, Constable, Pauls Valley
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Shireman, Constable, Pauls Valley
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for information on Lee Shireman (Shiveman in some articles)that was a Deputy Constable for Pauls Valley and reportedly a "..state enforcement officer under appointment of Gov. Cruce." Where do we find info on "State Enforcement Officers"? What were their responsibilities? He was shot and killed April 2, 1912, at a dance in Pauls Valley. For both the Oklahoma and National Law Enforcement Memorials I need to clarify his law enforcement status.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At another spot on this board, Diron is asking about the State Enforcement officers.
I checked the old issues of the Daily Oklahoman and here's what I found: The enabling act which allowed the creation of the new State of Oklahoma had a provision prohibiting the sale or possession of liquor. To handle the problems associated with this madate, in December, 1907 a bill establishing a State Enforcement Commission was presented. The Commission was to be composed of three members appointed by the Governor. The Commission appointed enforcement officers in each county at a salary of $1000 a year. Railway conductors were deputized as special enforcement officers to arrest persons on trains violating the prohibition law. A state agency was established at the capital where impounded liquors were kept. Local agencies were established in the several counties, one per county having a population of 2,000. Fines paid the State Commission on reaching $50,000 above necessary expenses were distributed equally among the counties except a 10% set aside for the agency reserve fund.
At the time of Shireman's death, M. J. Caudill of Hobart was the reigning State Enforcement executive; he replaced W. E. McLemore in 1911. (Daily Oklahoman, Dec. 12, 1907 and Aug. 8, 1911)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tower,

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post