OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    what prison(s) was matt kimes sent to if any?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what prison(s) was matt kimes sent to if any?
 Login/Join

posted
My great grandfather was a jailor at a oklahoma prison. I do not know which one due to many deaths in my family and no records. I do have a ring with matt kimes name engraved inside it. I was curious as to where the ring most likely came from McAlister, Sallisaw?.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcorbin,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mon July 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this while I was reading about Luther Bishop...

http://www.ionet.net/~okhombre/map.html

In August of 1926, brothers Mathew and George Kimes robbed two banks in Covington, a small town in Garfield County. They headed for their home near Van Buren, Arkansas, and successfully eluded lawmen across the state until they reached Sallisaw, where they encountered a road block set up by Sequoyah County Deputy Sheriff Perry Chuculate and Sallisaw Chief of Police J. C. Woll. In a fierce shootout, Deputy Chuculate was killed and Woll was captured and held hostage by the outlaws. Woll later was released. The Kimes brothers were tracked by State Crime Bureau operative Lee Pollock to the family farm outside Van Buren. Pollock shot it out with the bank robbers, captured them, and returned them to Oklahoma. George Kimes was sent to prison at McAlester. But Matt Kimes was still in jail in Sallisaw in November, 1926, when members of his gang forced their way into jail at gunpoint and rescued him. The Kimes gang escaped following a wild shootout. The next month, State Crime Bureau operative Luther Bishop was brutally shot to death in the middle of the night at his home in Oklahoma City. Some lawmen speculated that Bishop was murdered by one of the many outlaw gangs the officer had chased during his career. The case never was solved.

Posts: 26 | Location: home | Registered: Mon May 31 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

In my book, "The Kimes Gang" published in 2005, I describe the life and crimes of Matt and George Kimes, along with other family members and gang members. Matt was at McAlester (OSP) twice and one time at Stringtown. Matt was in various jails in Oklahoma, Arizona and Arkansas. I hope this helps.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. I actually purchased your book yesterday from amazon.com. I just have yet to receive it. I look forward to reading it and hopefully the book will answer some questions that I have about my family as well as Matt Kimes. Thank you again for your reply.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mon July 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was married to Bertha Bordark on 13 Aug 1926 in Fayetteville, Washington County, Ark

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mon December 08 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Matt Kimes married Bertha Bozart, who was only 14-years-old at the time.

Mike Koch, Author of "The Kimes Gang" and "A Murder in Tulsa"

posted Hide Post
to mr. mkoch do you know anything of Sugar Kimes? She showed up at my parents house one time around 1958 with my uncle and it seems there was a man with them, I was later told that he was her brother and they had just come from walawalla wa. on the run. and never knew if it was a true stoy or not. my uncle did time in mcalaister in the old days.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sat December 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I have never heard of Sugar Kimes, which is obviously a nickname. But, George Kimes' wife, Flossie and his two sisters lived in Walla Walla, Washington at one time. I suspect that "Sugar" is one of these women. George Kimes' sisters names were Nellie (Kimes) Bruner and Jackie (Kimes) Smith, at this time period. Flossie (Johnston) Kimes was from Welling or sometimes spelled Weldie, Oklahoma, which was in eastern Oklahoma. I hope this helps.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Yea!!!!!!! they need to pay for there wild mistake and the pain they out this family.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sun January 25 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply by the way my uncle was c.w bruner and did his time in mcalester
I never knew if he was married to her

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sat December 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post