Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiley Lynn
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if any other information exists about the the federal prohibition officer Wiley Lynn. It seems the only thing that is available on the internet is he was drunk and he killed the infamous Bill Tilghman. Nine years later had shootout w/Long and both were killed as well as a teenage bystander. Is that it? Is there someone who can tell me about the man other than that??

I am not ashamed to say the reason I am seeking this info is because I recently became interested in researching my family history and found that Wily Lynn was my great grandfather. I know he was no angel but there has to be more.. I am curious. Thanks

Posts: 4 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Thu February 01 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search on Newspaper Archives on the library link here in Oklahoma. If you live in Oklahoma and belong to a local library you should be able to get into the database by using your library card number and then searching on Lynn for the years 1921-1930. Gives several articles about Lynn which says a lot for his character.

If you live out of state, you might want to contact the Oklahoma Historical Society Library and ask them to do a search on his last name on "The Oklahoman" index and make you a copy of anything they find (50 cents per page). Interesting reading there.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I have some general background information on Mr. Lynn, like where he was born, whom he married, occupations and children. If you are wanting this please contact me at Packers52@Valornet.com and I'll give you this info.

Mike

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you frawg for the tip. I live in California so can't go to the OK library, however, I found some articles from the Oklahoman and other places. It seems everybody had a different view about the events both with Tilghman and Long. So different in fact that I am now totally confused. Any one know what really happened?? Which version is correct? For example, In "the last shoot out", whose gun penetrated who and killed the innocent bystander? I have read many versions and in one, Crockett Longs big ol'.44 caliber shot 2 bullets right through Wiley Lynn and one hit and later killed the bystander. In another version, the exact total opposite was stated, saying Lynn's 38 caliber shot through Long killing bystander. Then another article states that Lynn's stray bullets killed the innocent bystander. And so on.... All different.
Thanks again!!

MIKE, YES PLEASE SEND ME WHATEVER INFO YOU HAVE Smile THANKS SO MUCH !!

Posts: 4 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Thu February 01 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without causing a complete firestorm from the Wiley Lynn fans out there, I'll say this: It's been documented that Tilghman had a checkered past which included horse theft and whiskey peddling to Indians during the 1870s. However, his record as a frontier lawman is exceptional and his sheer stamina in remaining in this dangerous occupation for so many years is a true testiment to his character and bravery. Tilghman reportedly went to Cromwell initially at the request of the Governor of Oklahoma and was appointed the city marshal there in which capacity he was serving when he was shot and killed. What is known for sure is that Lynn had gotten out of a vehicle (intoxicated or not depending on what you want to believe) which contained a known prostitute/madam (Rose Lutke) and a soldier from Fort Sill. Lynn claimed that when he got out of the vehicle, he checked his pistol and it went off sending a bullet into the street. Some bystanders say it was intentional and others say it was an accident. He attempted to enter an establishment and was stopped by Tilghman. A struggle ensued over Lynn's pistol which Tilghman had gotten hold of. Lynn then pulled a second pistol and shot and killed Tilghman.
I am currently doing some research on Thomas Edward Brents Jr. who was the head of the federal prohibition forces in Oklahoma at the time and was Lynn's superior. Brents arrived on the scene shortly after the killing. I have a copy of his personal scrapbook and I think it interestign to point out that he has a veritable ton of information on nearly every outlaw he arrested and criminal case he was involved in in prosecuting...nowhere in this scrapbook is there a mention of Wiley Lynn or Bill Tilghman. Whether this ommission was by design or he simply did not think it a worthy topic to commemorate, we will likely never know.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main thing to remember about the Lynn-Tilghman case is that Lynn was "Aquitted"!!! Tilghman was not sent to Cromwell by the Governor to "Clean Up The TOwn"....Tilghman had been "Mooching" his political pals for months looking for a position......Tilghman was too old and to "Seedy" for any important positions.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sun May 14 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I noted in my previous posting, opinions on this topic vary greatly given your position and feelings toward either side. True Okie is absolutely correct in that Lynn was acquitted by a jury of his peers so the official record indicates that Lynn was not guilty.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diron, Thank you for the info.. I have a question; You mentioned Wiley Lynn's Superior has a scrapbook of information. Are you saying this scrapbook has nothing about Lynn in it? Or are you saying it has nothing about the Lynn/Tilghman incident?? I was wondering because I would like to read about Lynn's cases and arrests as a lawman if this is possible. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
The Brents Scrapbook has no mention of Wiley Lynn at all. I'm not sure where you would be able to locate info on the cases that he worked. Might try the National Archives in Washington DC first and then if that doesn't work try the National Archives branch at Fort Worth. I don't believe the OK Historical Society or Western History Collections at OU would have anything that would assist.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist

posted Hide Post
Thanks again.

Does any of your research or resources happen to have a photo of Wiley Lynn?? The only photos I can locate are of Tilghman and Long.

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Yes, I have one! Send me your E-mail address to my E-mail address at Packers52@Valornet.com and I'll scan a copy to you.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Nearly five years have passed since you originally posted this note. I don't know if you are continuing your research on Thomas Edward Brents, Jr., who was my grandfather. You mention a copy of his personal scrapbook. May I ask where you obtained it? Is there anyplace that I can access any further information about my grandfather? Thanks.

Daniel Brents, son of Thomas E. Brents, Jr and grandson of Thomas E. Brents (Jr.)

quote:
Originally posted by Diron:
Without causing a complete firestorm from the Wiley Lynn fans out there, I'll say this: It's been documented that Tilghman had a checkered past which included horse theft and whiskey peddling to Indians during the 1870s. However, his record as a frontier lawman is exceptional and his sheer stamina in remaining in this dangerous occupation for so many years is a true testiment to his character and bravery. Tilghman reportedly went to Cromwell initially at the request of the Governor of Oklahoma and was appointed the city marshal there in which capacity he was serving when he was shot and killed. What is known for sure is that Lynn had gotten out of a vehicle (intoxicated or not depending on what you want to believe) which contained a known prostitute/madam (Rose Lutke) and a soldier from Fort Sill. Lynn claimed that when he got out of the vehicle, he checked his pistol and it went off sending a bullet into the street. Some bystanders say it was intentional and others say it was an accident. He attempted to enter an establishment and was stopped by Tilghman. A struggle ensued over Lynn's pistol which Tilghman had gotten hold of. Lynn then pulled a second pistol and shot and killed Tilghman.
I am currently doing some research on Thomas Edward Brents Jr. who was the head of the federal prohibition forces in Oklahoma at the time and was Lynn's superior. Brents arrived on the scene shortly after the killing. I have a copy of his personal scrapbook and I think it interestign to point out that he has a veritable ton of information on nearly every outlaw he arrested and criminal case he was involved in in prosecuting...nowhere in this scrapbook is there a mention of Wiley Lynn or Bill Tilghman. Whether this ommission was by design or he simply did not think it a worthy topic to commemorate, we will likely never know.

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston | Registered: Mon November 24 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Daniel

I can't recall the name of the descendant from whom I obtained the copy of the Brents scrapbook but I believe he lived in Texas. He mailed me a CD that had images of each page which included newspaper clippings, original certificates, photographs etc.

I have a veritable ton of info on Brents and would be happy to share. Drop me an email at dironahlquist@yahoo.com

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diron:
Hi Daniel

I can't recall the name of the descendant from whom I obtained the copy of the Brents scrapbook but I believe he lived in Texas. He mailed me a CD that had images of each page which included newspaper clippings, original certificates, photographs etc.

I have a veritable ton of info on Brents and would be happy to share. Drop me an email at dironahlquist@yahoo.com

Hi Diron,

I just now found your reply and will respond. Thanks so much.

Daniel

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston | Registered: Mon November 24 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being aquitted does not prove someone was not guilty. O J was "Aquitted" too.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey DNA!!! We are related!!! My step dad is Lewis Dwight Lynn. His father was Buster Lynn and his Uncle was none other than Wiley Lynn.

I have done a great deal of research on Wiley and Bill Tilghman as my father is very sick and I want to answer as many of his questions about this branch of our tree. I am the family historian and from both sides this bit of history is pretty important to me and my family.

I would be thrilled to share what I know with you and hope you would be eager to reciprocate!!

Laura (Lynn) Piccolotto

Posts: 10 | Registered: Tue December 08 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dna:
Thanks again.

Does any of your research or resources happen to have a photo of Wiley Lynn?? The only photos I can locate are of Tilghman and Long.

Oh my heavens....Mike...please please please send to me too!! I am Laura at evesparadox@yahoo.com

Today I managed to secure two copies of Oklahoma Justice - Outlaws, gangster and terrorists, from the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial Inc. Turner publishing sold all their unsold copies to this group and making a donation to this fund is the only way of getting a copy of this book...anywhere....and trust me...I researched!

My dads mother had a fire quite a few years after Buster was gone. Killed in a bar fight...yeah seriously. Most all the family's photos and keepsakes were in that fire and so we have very few photos as it is and to have such an old photo of a family member, no matter how nefarious (or not) he was..well...it would mean quite a lot to my family.

Happy Holidays to all of you Lynn's AND Tilghmans alike!

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I assume your are referring to me, Mike Koch, if so send me your E-mail address at Packers52@valorenet.com and I'll scan a print of Lynn for you.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Yes Mike Koch,

You assume correctly...lol I would be thrilled to have this piece of our history to add to our family archives.

I have been doing a great deal of research into Oklahoma history as both sides of my family hail from there. My dad was watching a TV movie (You know my name) and was dumbstruck when he heard the names of his relatives being mentioned throughout!

I and my family appreciate this site being here and your offer to help, more than I can say.

Seasons Greeetings...now reach for the sky!

hehe (couldn't resist).

Laura

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Evesparadox,

posted Hide Post
Oh and I found this 'gem' in my internet sleuthing. It gives two accounts/versions of the events leading to the deaths of both men, and a few others I dare say.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okmarsha/crow.html

THE LAST OKLAHOMA SHOOT-OUT
by CHARLES W. MOONEY

and if you keep scrolling down there is-

ANOTHER VERSON
BY Wilbert Wiggs
Staff Writer for Daily Ardmorite