Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irving Charles Chapman
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for information on 1930s era bank robber named Irving Charles Chapman. He escaped from the Huntsville prison in Texas in the late 30s. He was also listed in the FBI most wanted list at one point. I have information that he may have operated in Oklahoma at one time and am tryihg to get info on him.
Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed February 10 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What information are you looking for. I am from his part of the woods. He was considered Public Enemy Number 0ne by the FBI and only Number one by the locals. He was sort of a "folk hero" in the communtiy where he was raised and died
Yossarian

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Sat January 09 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am working on a genealogy project and believe that he was married to the great grandmother of the prime person in the genealogy. Her name was Lucille Tulsa Warfield (1905-1994). She was also married to Warren B Henry (1903-1932). I am trying to find confirmation that Irving Chapman was married to Lucille Warfield and any other information that relates to that marriage (dates, location, disposition of the marriage, etc.)
Thanks, EH

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed February 10 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi all,

Irving Charles Chapman was born on December 29, 1898 in Philadelphia, Mississippi. During the stock market crash in the late 1920s; he lost all of his fortune, and decided to be a criminal instead. He began a series of kidnappings and bank heists in Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana. He began his criminal ways with a few minor arrests in Florida and New Jersey, before embarking on a decade long career as a gangster. In 1932 he was sentenced to serve 9 to 14 years for a Miden, LA., bank robbery. However, he, and two others escaped from the Caddo Parish jail at Shreveport on December 5, 1932, by lowering themselves from their eight story cell with an rope made from whatever they could find. Captured in 1934, he was wounded in a gunbattle with police and convicted to 15 years for a bank robbery in Mississippi. He was turned over to Arkansas, where he received another 15-year term for another bank heist. He escaped from the Tucker Prison (some reports say he escaped from a Little Rock prison) on August 25, 1936, using a pistol taken from the warden's office. Chapman then drove to Texas and robbed the First National bank of Atlanta, Texas (twice) He was captured after the second robbery and given a 60 year prison term. He was sent to Eastham Prison Farm, the same one Clyde Barrow was once imprisoned at. He along with infamous Oklahoma bandit Pete Traxler, as well as six others escaped on June 22, 1937. All were captured or killed, except Chapman. In 1939, he shot his way out of a police trap near is home town in Mississippi. In January 1942, he shot Patrolman Ralph McNair at Meridian, Mississippi and escaped. Finally, on February 22, 1942, he was driving away from his residence and drove right into a police trap. He was shot and before dying told the police, "Go ahead and shoot, you bastards!" They did't have to as he succumb to his wounds. He was buried at the Sandtown Cemetery at Sandtown, Mississippi. So ended the career of this famous outlaw!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ehernand. Thanks for your return info. I don't think that Irvin Charles (Carl) Chapman AKA Charlie Chapman is the man you are looking for. The info I have on his marriages are as follows: Of course there always could be that missing one.
1. Estella (Stella) Woodward of Philadephia, Ms in 1917 that produced two kids, Millicent and Irving Jr.

2. Pauline Duncan from Oklahoma that from possible documents may have produced one child.

3. Lula Williams of Philadephia, Mississippi with no children found.

4. Ruby Roebuck and they were married in AL under the name of M. C. Halvert. This marriage was in the fall of 1941 just a few months before he was killed.
(????) I did pick up on a name on a wanted poster with a wife by the name of Janice but I really think that was a FBI blunder.

I am from his community and have never heard the kinsmen say anything about the names you presented

If you have any info on him I would appreciate a return.

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Sat January 09 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mkock...Thanks for your return. I am posting to you under you e-mail due to length

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Thanks, by the way my name is KOCH!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post