OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    William Alfred Moore inmate @ McAlester in the 30's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

William Alfred Moore inmate @ McAlester in the 30's
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Sharon
I am looking for information on how to fine the records on my grandfathers stay at McAlester during the 1930's I believe he was in for murder, 1 to 3 men. If you can help me I would be very thankful.
JWM

Posts: 3 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sat August 12 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following are some suggestions in trackig down your person. If he were in McAlester, eventually you will need to make contact with the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.

I would suggest first:
(1) Do you have a date when he died? Was he in prison at the time?
(2) Have you pinned him down on the 1930 census; what state, (presumably Oklahoma), what county?
(3) Do you have any approximate date when the murders were committed? And where were they committed?
(4) Have you read old newspapers for the town/county in which the murders occurred? Have you found any references to his trial in any newspapers? The majority of newspapers for Oklahoma are on microfilm at the Oklahoma State Historical Society Library/Archives in OKC. The good thing about it, if the stories were in the Dalily Oklahoma, you're in luck as these have been scanned into computers and print out from the computer - all others are on microfilm.

(5) After all that, then contact with the Oklahoma Department of Corrections is probably the next step as they maintain records for the prisons. I'm not sure what their policy is on relatives accessing records; you may have to go the Freedom of Information process - but if your grandfather died in prison more than 75 years ago, it may be fairly easy.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information on my grandfather.
He was in prison in the 1930's to 40's. Somewhere in between that time. He died in califorina around 1952. Thank you again for your help

Posts: 3 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sat August 12 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, I too am looking for information about my grandfather. I have several names he used throughout his life; J.C. Moore is one of them. Do you remember any tatoos from this prison? What date was your grandfather born? Alfred was the name of one of his children. Could you please sent more information regarding his dates I would like to narrow down my search as well. Thanks so much.
Cindy

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mon January 01 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cindy, I only have a little information on my grandfather. My cousin in okla is a corrections officer and he is trying to get some info on him. When he does send me the info I will put it on this site and maybe you can use some of it.