OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Earl Jarrett (Cedar Creek Gang-Poe-Hart Gang
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earl Jarrett (Cedar Creek Gang-Poe-Hart Gang
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for information that anyone may have on Earl Jarrett and the Jarrett Brothers. I have just recently found out that I am related and do not have a lot of information on the early years in the Oklahoma area.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sun April 03 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
Hi! I have a little bit of information on EARL JARRETT in my book "Alive If Possible, Dead If Necessary." Earl had brothers named Floyd and Lee, and a sister named Hazel. Hazel was the wife of Wilbur Underhill.

On January 8, 1925 Earl Jarrett escaped from the state prison in McAlester.

On February 5, 1925 Earl Jarrett murdered law enforcement officer Henry Oats in the Osage Hills.

Apparently Earl was captured and returned to prison. Then, on December 20th, 1926 Earl escaped again from the state prison in McAlester.

Hope this helps.

Dee Cordry
dcordry@gmail.com
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Jarretts were a big family from Nowata Co....father-James-mother-Nellie--kids...Walter, Howard, Lee, Maud, Roger(Buster), Ross, Glenn, Ralph, Hazel, Opel, floyd, Earl and Benard... as far as I know they were all criminals or harborers(even tho Benard was blind)..Hazel married Ab Conner (a noted area outlaw ,later slain by the law) and Conners sister married Lee Jarrett.Hazel later married Wilbur Underhill...Earl died in Ohio in 1977 under the name Howard Martin....

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you! Any information we can get will be helpful. I have read and heard a few different stories on the shooting of Henry Oats. One was that their were two officers and that the girls walked with one of the officers, while the other one rode with Earl Jarrett in the car. The other was that they all got into the car together. I was wondering what happened to the girls--I heard that one was Opal Jarrett..and that possibly the shooting had something to do with her..if not were the girls arrested? Also do you know why earl was let go in Kentucky, and then why Ohio did not extradite him years later?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sun April 03 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hazel Jarrett was my grandmother. I know a little about her family. I am trying to find out anything I can too. I have some pictures of my grandmother, two of her brothers and her sister Maud. I was told her brother Earl changed his to so that he could quit running from the law. My grandmother was with Earl when the officer was shot. I'm not sure who shot him, but I do know that she helped him escape from the car that he was in.I do know a little more and I would like to find out what you know. I would also like to know how you are related to the Jarrett's.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Wed January 27 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandfather Ross Jarrett was Hazel Jarrett's brother. Would like to exchange info with you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri April 08 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you trying to locate info on the James and Nellie Jarret family of Oklahoma/Missouri contact tom.gwinn.tg@gmail.com He has researched this family for 20 years and can be a great wealth of knowledge for you.. ie: photos, letters, story's, relationships and so on.....

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sun August 26 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 41 | Registered: Tue October 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This message is for Taylor. My grandmother was Hazel Jarrett, brother of Ross Jarrett. I am still looking for any information that I can find. Hopefully we can help each other. I have found the grandson and grate granson of Earl Jarrett, Hazel and Ross' brother.

posted Hide Post
Hey Taylor! My e-mail is lynda_ruthan@yahoo.com
Please contact me when you get this message.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 41 | Registered: Tue October 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post