OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Oklahombres (almost) and Sgt. Alvin York
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahombres (almost) and Sgt. Alvin York
 Login/Join

posted
This may be a little off topic, but I found it interesting: "American Indians in the AEF {American Expeditionary Force in WW I) produced their own Alvin York, Private Joseph Oklahombi, a Choctaw from southeastern Oklahoma. Oklahombi, whose name in Choctaw meant 'mankiller,' ran two hundred yards through barbed wire and, according to his citation, 'rushed on machine-gun nests, capturing 171 prisoners,' then turned the captured guns upon the enemy."

Another interesting fact I had not known (in this book by Joseph Persico: Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour [New York: Random House, 2004]} is that the famed Navaho "Code Talkers" in WW II were preceded first by Choctaw Indians in WW I performing the same function. "Indian code talkers," writes Persico, "would gain far greater fame in the next world conflict, but the practice began in the trenches of France in 1918"(p. 296).

--meursault

Posts: 215 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post