Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vernon & George Robison
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know which Deputy Sheriff these two brothers killed. Article in The Daily Oklahoman of Sunday, Dec 14, 1930, P. 9, C.8 only states "...brothers who are serving sentences in the penitentiary at McAlester in connection with the slaying of a deputy sheriff,..."

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis,

George H. "Buster" Robinson and Vernon L. Robinson (and Ernest Jackson) were bootleggers. They killed Deputy Sheriff Elmer Carter around Altus, Jackson County, Oklahoma, on 8/29/1930. The Robinsons were convicted and sentenced to Life in prison.

Their appeal (A-8132) was heard; however, the sentence was Affirmed on 3/4/1932.

(Source: 53OKCR178 (pp.178-186) and 9 P2d 54)

Frederick Leader 8/30/1930; and (maybe) 9/5/30. There should be some better articles in the Altus papers.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard and for the phone call advising me that their last name is spelled "Robsion" in the OK Court of Appeals web site.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis,

I couldn't figure out "why" this case wasn't appearing on the Oklahoma Criminal Court of Appeals website under ANY of the various spellings of the last name, ie. "Robison" or "Robinson" or "Robsion". So, I checked the newspaper microfilm at the Oklahoma History Center and the name is definately "Robsion". Here are some of the citations found:

Altus Times-Democrat 8/31/1930 (p.1 c.1-2 & p.6 c.2) "George Robsion Confesses He Fired Several Shots at Peace Officers Near Altus"; also, (same issue) (p.1 c.7-8 & p.6 c.1-2) "Murder Charges To Be Filed"; and, (p.1 c.5) "Carter To Be Buried Today".

There were (at least) Fifteen more articles that followed in the month of September 1930.

According to the Daily Oklahoman (Electronic Archives):

8/31/1930 (p10) "Last of Trio in Rum Death Under Arrest"; 9/6/1930 (21/7) "Widow of Slain Deputy Sues Trio"; 10/14/1930 (2/4) "Death Asked for Robsion"; 10/16/1930 (9/3) "Life Sentence Given Slayer"; 11/23/1930 (4/2) "Robsion Given 10 Years for Slaying"; 3/5/1932 (3/1) "Slayer of Deputy Must Serve Life"; 3/9/1932 (p8){Editorial} "George Robsion's Life Sentence Affirmed...So, this means he will probably have to stay several months."

ALSO, the incident IS reported in "Oklahoma Heroes" on page 228; however, the killer's name is spelled "Robison"...sorry about that, Ron!

posted Hide Post
Richard did you ever find anything on the OK Criminal Court of Appeals web site? I thought I had put the name in spelled every way and nothing came up for me.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: oklememorial@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Dennis,

For some unknown reason, it appears that this specific citation failed to make the Oklahoma Criminal Court of Appeals website; so, I went back to the O.C.U. law library and made copies of the case findings, directly out of the Oklahoma Criminal Report "book" (V.53).

(NOTE: Before the "Court's Website" came on-line, I had extracted ALL of the homicides and bank robbery citations from Volumes 1-60. Now, all one has to do is "click-click" on your computer and you're there. Oh well, that's progress, I guess. But, then again, the new system is not always infallible, as this example has shown.)

I made you a copy, and dropped it off at your workplace on Thursday. Sorry that I missed you. If you need copies of any of the newspaper articles, let me know.

posted Hide Post
you mention that you have exacted bank robberys. Would it be possible for me to find out about some robberies of the Canadian Valley Bank in Asher, OK in the late 1920's? If so, what is the ULR to get to the site?
Thank you.
Carl

Posts: 16 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Tue August 23 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl,

To get on the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals website, you could probably just Google OCCA; however, here's the full address:

http://www.occa.state.ok.us/

After the website appears, scroll down past the photo of the Justices and click-on "OCCA Online".

Then, scroll down until you see "Search All Documents" (on the left hand side). Click-on!

Type a "name" in the appropriate space; check mark the box for "Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeal Cases"; and, then "Execute Query"!

This is a GREAT source of information for a wide range of criminal activities in our history, including murders, bank robberies, armed robberies, liquor violations, etc. etc.

Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
Thank you Richard my friend for the copy of the OK Court of Criminal Appeals ruling and the citations. I was able to get all of The Daily Oklahoman articles off line. If you do not already have copies of the articles from the Frederick Leader and Altus Times-Democrat I will get them next time I go to the OHS. Thanks again for all of your help getting info on this fallen officer and the many others you have helped me with in the past.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: oklememorial@aol.com

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Good job on this request! It goes to show you, if you put our members on line, we can get to the bottom of most requests.

M. Koch

Reply With QuoteReport This Post