OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    W.W. "Snake" Thomason, Federal Prohibition Agent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W.W. "Snake" Thomason, Federal Prohibition Agent
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for absolutely any information on W.W. "Snake" Thomason who was a federal prohibition agent operating in Oklahoma during the 1910s. This is what I have to date, but any other information is welcomed and appreciated.

William W. "Snake" Thomasson was born about 1874 in Arkansas. The 1920 Census taken in January 1920 lists his employment as that of "U.S. Marshal" though he was likely serving as a deputy U.S. marshal. At the time, he was living with his wife and eight children at Wewoka, Seminole Co., Oklahoma. He was noted as a "special officer of the United States" in the mid-1920s when he had started from Fairfax to Pawhuska with some federal prisoners when another car collided with his. The prisoners were sent in by another officer while Thomasson waited with his crippled vehicle. As he waiting for a service car to arrive, another car drove by with a man identified as J. Edwards pointing a gun out the window at Thomasson. Shots were exchanged and apparently neither was wounded. Edwards was found guilty of assault with intent to kill. On July 4, 1929, Thomasson and two other enforcement officers were making a raid on an illicit still. In the course of the raid, James Harris and Oscar Lowery, two suspected bootleggers, were shot and killed near Tecumseh. Thomasson was subsequently charged and tried on two counts of murder. He apparently was exonerated of any wrong-doing. In 1930, he was living in Oklahoma City with his wife and son and was employed as a federal prohibition officer. In 1937, Thomasson was apparently serving on assignment in south Texas. In February 1937, Thomasson was assisting in a raid on an illicit still in the Colorado River Valley about five miles west of Austin. Thomasson had chased a suspect down the river bed and the remainder of the party heard about ten shots fired in rapid succession. When the officers arrived on the scene of the shooting, they found Thomasson and an unidentified man, supposedly the suspect, sprawled out on the ground. Both were dead from gunshot wounds.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary/Editor Oklahombres Journal

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know your message was posted long ago, however I just ran across it. William Wesley Thomason was my great-grandfather. The circumstances of his death were not by violence. If you need more information, please feel free to contact me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mon January 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post