Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W C Temple Chief, Anadarko PD
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for any information on W C Temple, Chief of Police of Anadarko PD who was shot to death when he answered a knock at his door on November 12, 1910. Reportedly an hour before someone shot six times at an Anadarko patrolman on Main Street.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: oklememorial@aol.com

Posts: 144 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much here that you don't already know, but it's all I could find:

Janesville Daily Gazette, November 14, 1910

KILLS ANADARKO POLICE HEAD.

Chief Temple Is Shot to Death by Un-known Mexican,
Anadarko, Okla., Nov. 14.—Police Chief W. C. Temple was called to his
door by an unidentified Mexican and shot to death. The shooting took place about an hour after six shots were fired at a patrolman on Main street by some person who was not found. Three hundred men are scattered over the county searching for the assassin and if he is found it is thought that a lynching will result.

http://www.newspaperarchive.co...er.aspx?img=53496382

Akron Register Tribune, November 24, 1910

Opel Reported Under Arrest.
Anadarko , Okla.—Reports have reached Anadarko that Oscar Opel,
the Mexican slayer of Police Chief Temple , was arrested at Chickasha but officers refuse either to affirm or to deny the report.

http://www.newspaperarchive.co...r.aspx?img=144191304

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your help. Will get to the OHS to check in Anadarko papers there.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776

Posts: 144 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan, do you know which state the Janesville Daily Gazette was published in?

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776

posted Hide Post
Dennis, it's in Wisconsin.

Dan

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Dan.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776

<MKoch>
posted
Hello,

Check out the following newspaper articles on W. C. Temple: The Paducah Evening Star, Nov. 14, 1910; the Anadarko Daily Democrat, Nov. 18, 1910, and the El Paso Herald, Nov. 14, 1910.

Mike

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, there was no attachment or site address for these articles. Can you e-mail them to me?
Thanks,
Dennis

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I've mailed the copies of these articles to you. Did you receive them???

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I received the articles you sent. Thanks so much.
Do you know of any free sites to look up the Census of 1910 for Caddo County? Still working on getting more info on Temple to submit him to the Nat'l LEO Memorial.