OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    From Retired FBI: Charles Winstead's Memoirs, Dillinger & More
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Retired FBI: Charles Winstead's Memoirs, Dillinger & More
 Login/Join

posted
Folks, I appreciate the assistance of those present at Oklahombres.org and of all of the prior research done by authors such as Rick, Ron Morgan and many others. I must admit I'm playing "catch up" on a lot of what probably or may have already been done over the years. (I am not an author now, nor do I have anything I'm selling.) I'm sure in some cases, I'll be "reinventing the wheel!"

Having retired in 03 from the FBI after nearly 30 years, and because of my interests in Bureau/police history, I recently obtained a copy of the memoirs and other documents belonging to former FBI Agent Charles Winstead. In the event no one knew of them, or hasn't seen them, I've posted them at my new site at: http://www.rypublish.com/historicalgmen.html

Winstead's memoirs give a "romantic view" of the early years of his work in many areas, and his FBI career. As you all know, he was one of the prime shooters at the Dillinger shooting that night. There is also posted some interesting letters of Winstead's. We obtained these thanks to the cooperation of the Red River Museum in Sherman, TX where the originals lay.

I've also included at the site my own comment's about the "Dillinger weapon" which may, or may not, interest you. There probably is a "lead" there that I'm not aware has been pursued. As you'll note, I can assure you that there was never any "big secret" inside the FBI about the Dillinger gun that's on the tour.

The purpose of my own website is self explanatory I think. It is mainly there for the many current and retired FBI agents, and the public, who have an interest in the names ofthe past, and in an effort to not let these names be forgotten. Searching for Winstead's memoirs and a comment of a Dallas reporter, actually inspired me in this regard. Needless to say, the site and the information is in very preliminary stages of layout and info, so bear with me.

I assume that many will not agree with me on some aspects of history, but that's expected and I can live with it so don't worry about it.

In the event I can be of any formal or informal assistance to anyone here, don't hesitate to ask. Especially if you need to interpret FOIA FBI documents, statements, etc. There are a multitude of reasons for the existence, or lack of, certain elements in these type documents which the average outsider may not understand. Conflicts, and the lack of certain information does NOT MEAN the Agent is lying or fabricating information. One thing anyone must bear in mind is that the standard interview form called the FD-302 IS NOT A "VERBATIM" transcript. It is an INTERPRETATION of the information by the Agent of the facts, and then reduced to writing.

In the meantime, stop by to see the Winstead memoirs if interested and my own comment's about the Dillinger weapon at: http://www.rypublish.com/historicalgmen.com

Anything you'd like to share is appreciated and I'm sure I'll be in contact with many here. I am in possesion of some interesting books on the subject matter at hand, done by authors on this forum. Some I don't have.

thanks
larry wack

Posts: 22 | Location: new york | Registered: Fri August 19 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great concept. Thank you for preserving this bit of history.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larry That is outstanding work. Keep it up.

"I wasn't but 145 pounds but I had a good pistol" T.W."Buckshot" Lane, Sheriff Warton County Texas

Posts: 20 | Location: North Little Rock, Ar. U.S..A. | Registered: Sat December 13 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post