Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahoma Constables
 Login/Join

posted
My great grandfather, David Samuel Robertson, was the constable for Seminole County in the 1920's. My grandfather, Daniel Robertson, was 16 years old when great grandfather Robertson was killed in the line of duty. I've heard that he was shot, through a screendoor, while walking up to a house he was going to investigate for illegal gambling activities.
Does anyone have any information on great grandfather Robertson?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
The book "Oklahoma Heroes" by author Ron Owens lists SAM ROBERTSON on page 173. Robertson was a Seminole County deputy sheriff and also the constable of Wolf, Oklahoma. He was killed in the line of duty on December 11, 1929 when he was shot in the back by Otis Lackey. Lackey was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the information. Smile Sam Robertson is my great grandfather. I did not know he was a deputy sheriff or who shot him. Do you know where I can purchase this book?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue January 13 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a Sam Robertson living in Wolf, Seminole County, Oklahoma in the 1920 Census. It shows him as being 33 years of age having been born in Missouri. I didn't see a son named David though. Could this possibly be your grandfather? Let me know and if so I can transcribe the entire thing. He is listed as a farmer at that time.
On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
OKC, OK
Editor, Oklahombres Journal

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<constablesgd>
posted
Yes, that's my great grandfather. His son, Daniel, is my grandfather.
I really appreciate the information. Thanks! Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Seminole County web site states:
"Sam Robertson, 43, Constable of Wolf Township, was shot and fatally wounded in a gun battle at Wolf drug store when he broke up a gamblingsession. According to information from the Sheriff's Department, he was shot by Otis Lackey, who was acting as lookout for for the game. Lackey was captured at a garage on the Sasakwa - Wewoka highway, southeast of Wolf, a short time afterward, by Officers John Poe and Jim Villines and was to be charged with murder. Robertson was taken to Maud hospital where he died. The slain officer, the third peace officer in Seminole County to be killed in 60 days, is survived by a wife and seven children. They live on a farm near Maud. Lackey was said to be guard at the game and shot through the door five times when Robertson attempted to arrest four men inside. George Hill, owner of the place raided, and George Doolin, at whose place Lackey was arrested, were held in county jail at Wewoka."

The Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial is looking for family members of fallen officers. Please contact us with your information.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial, Inc.
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: OKLEMEMORIAL@aol.com
www.oklemem.com

oklemem.com

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<constablesgd>
posted
Thank you so much for the information. You'll never know how much my family and I appreciate the info that everyone here at oklahombres has shared.

constables granddaughter Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PLease contact us by e-mail for information on the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial and getting your Great-Grandfather added to the National Memorial in Washington, DC.
Thanks.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial, Inc.
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: OKLEMEMORIAL@aol.com
www.oklemem.com

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post