oklahombres.org
Deputy John Hodge or Charles W Hodges

This topic can be found at:
http://oklahombres.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2876036794/m/51210296811

Thu November 11 2004, 11:30 AM
Dennis
Deputy John Hodge or Charles W Hodges
Need info on Haskell County Deputy Sheriff John Hodge or a Charles W Hodges. May be the same person. Shot and killed February 27,1910, in Quinton.
Have copies of articles on the death of Deputy John Hodge from:

The Daily Oklahoman
Tues.,March 1, 1910
Page 11, Col. 6
"Quinton Deputy Killed By Friend of Suspect"
and
The Dallas Morning News
Tues.,March 1, 1910
"Deputy Killed at Quinton".

Both articles ref to the deputy as John Hodge.
I recently received an e-mail from a Jim Hodges asking if we had any info on his grandfather Charles W Hodges a sheriff in Oklahoma killed Feb 26, 1910.
Any other articles or info for either name would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial, Inc.
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776

OKLEMEMORIAL@aol.com
www.oklemem.com
Mon November 15 2004, 12:20 PM
Dennis
I have since located records of the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, 1912 OK CR 396 where Roy Kent appealled his conviction of manslaughter for killing "Charles Hodge". It tells the story of the shooting on Feb 26, 1910, and refers to the deceased as Charles Hodge, a peace officer.
This tends to indicate that he was more than likely Charles W Hodges. Assuming court records are a little more accurite than newspapers. I still wonder why the papers called him a Deputy Sheriff of Haskell County when he made the arrest in Pittsburg County. Maybe he have lived in nearby Haskell County and worked as a Pittsburg County Deputy. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
Tue March 23 2010, 12:12 PM
<MKoch>
Hi,

Charles Washington "C. W." Hodges was born on June 10, 1863 and was killed on February 26, 1910. He is buried at the Lona Valley Cemetery near Kinta, Haskell County, Oklahoma. His wife's name was Mary, but she is not buried with him. She may have remarried. They had seven children. Charles had had only served three months as a Deputy Sheriff for Haskell County.