OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Williams Mayes and Will Miller, May 4, 1919
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams Mayes and Will Miller, May 4, 1919
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for more information on Internal Revenue Agents (?) William Mayes and Will Miller, killed on May 4, 1919,in northern McCurtain County while raiding a still.
I have copies of articles from:

The Daily Oklahoman
May 7,1919,page 4;
May 18,1919,page 1;
June 1,1919,page 4.

The Daily Times Herald (Dallas, TX)
May 6, 1919, page 1.

Oklahoma Heroes, page 242-243.

Any other articles or info would be appreciated. They are refered to as "officers" of Cattlemen Associations and as Internal Revenue Agents however there may be some differance of opinion since I understand IRS Prohibition Agents did not come about until 1920. Would like to have as much info on them as possible before submitting their names to be added to the Nat'l Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC.

Thanks, Dennis
Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial, Inc.
OKLEMEMORIAL@aol.com
www.oklemem.com

Posts: 149 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great Uncle William Myers once used the name William Mayes when the FBI picked him up in 8/22/1922 (#33242) in San Francisco as he was wanted and was returned to Boise Idaho where he did time for boot legging in the Idaho Prison. I always was interested in why he used that name.. He also used the name of William Thomas Myers and later used the name of W.M. Meyers. I have a letter from J.E. Hoover April 25, 1933 refering to this. It refers to file #84767.. I doubt is there is any relationship, but was interesting. I am looking for information on his father.

Posts: 13 | Location: Shawnee, Earlsboro, Ft Smith | Registered: Mon October 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post