OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Pete Carter Lynching; August 24, 1911; Purcell, Oklahoma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pete Carter Lynching; August 24, 1911; Purcell, Oklahoma
 Login/Join

posted
The microfilms of The Purcell Register which are maintained at the Purcell public library are--strangely enough--missing the issues which would cover the topical event. I have found a site where an original of the needed edition can be purchased for a princely sum which is beyond my present means. Is there a reader amongst us who might know where that edition might be found?

Posts: 7 | Location: Lexington, Oklahoma | Registered: Wed November 05 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a contemporary account from a Texas newspaper which reports a negro not being lynched in Purcell: {See bottom of 3rd Col.}

http://chroniclingamerica.loc....08-24/ed-1/seq-5.pdf

A 1912 account of 1911 lynching of Carter
http://books.google.com/books?...nched%201911&f=false

Posts: 41 | Registered: Tue October 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 7 | Location: Lexington, Oklahoma | Registered: Wed November 05 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY BOOK I HAVE SAYS HE WAS LYNCHED ON AUGUST 26, 1911 AT PURCELL, OKLA.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Thu March 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That could be the date on which it was reported but I do believe the actual event took place on August 24, 1911. I have the Daily Oklahoman accounts but I find it strange that the local library microfilms of the Purcell Register of that period have gone missing.