Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman Sheriff - 1926
 Login/Join

posted
I am assisting a person from out of state. It is one of those situations where there is limited infomation. It seems that a relative was sheriff in early Okalhoma, but she does not have a date; she thought it was in Guymon.

The person who was the sheriff was Annalee or Anna Lee Byerley (her maiden name). She married and her husband was the sheriff and he died while in office. Annalee then became the sheriff. At first it was thought Annlee was sheriff in Guymon (Texas County), but I found an article in the online Oklahoman where a Anna J. B_______ was sheriff in Woodward in 1926. Unfortunately the last name in the article is impossible to read. I will locate the article on microfilm this week when I go to the library and hopefully the last name can be read.

Has anyone come across a woman sheriff in 1926 in Woodward, Texas, or Beaver Counties? What was her name? Her husband's name?

Any information appreciated.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this is who you are looking for:

Anna Bouquot was the Sheriff of Woodward County from 1927-1929. She was the first female Sheriff of that county and finished out the term of her husband, John J., who died in June 1927.
**REFERENCES**
-Oklahoma's Lawmen, www.rootsweb.com, Woodward County, Oklahoma

John J. Bouquot was the Sheriff of Woodward County from 1907-1911. He was again elected and served from 1925-1927 where he died in office in June 1927. His wife, Anna Bouquot, finished his term from 1927-1929.
**REFERENCES**
-Oklahoma's Lawmen, www.rootsweb.com, Woodward County, Oklahoma

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a response.

I finally found Anna J. Bouquot's information when reading the old newspapers. Unfortunately she is not the one described by the lady I'm trying to assist.

I've talked with the sheriffs of Texas, Beaver and Cimarron counties, and Anna J. Bouquot is the only female sheriff they have had out there as far as any of them could recall (unless of course there was one before 1907).

I've identified ten women who have been appointed to the position of sheriff in Oklahoma (and three others elected to the position). Of those appointed, none can be identified as Anna Lee Byerley.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be another fruitless "treasure hunt" but I have been told that Glen Shirley wrote an article that appeared in the State Trooper Magazine about a lady sheriff (possibly out of Comanche County).

My questions are these:
Does anyone know what year it may have appeared in the magazine?
What was the lady's name?
In what county was she sheriff?

I've already contacted Al Ritter but he would have to do a whole lot of searching to find it.
All help appreciated.

posted Hide Post
I grew up in Lawton (Comanche County) and don't recall any female Sheriffs in the history of the department. It seems to me that I uncovered a female Sheriff in possibly Stephens County (Duncan) who took over after her husband died.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I have been searching for someone out of Comanche County. The current sheriff of Roger Mills County thought there might have been one in Comanche County - and gave me the lead about the story in the Trooper Magazine.

Yes, Stephens County has had two ladies appointed to sheriff after their husbands died while in office.

This gets to be a challenge chasing down any lead that is tossed my way.

My appreciation.

posted Hide Post
Another "Terrific!" story in the Oklahombres Journal - - Special Edition - - Spring 2008 {Vol. 19 No. 3 pp.8-14}:

"These Women Wore Badges - A History of Women Sherriffs in Oklahoma", by E.E. Freeman (aka Frawg).

The amount of research that you put into these stories is phenomenal. Congratulations on a great piece of work - - long overdue and needed!

Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post