New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Roberts
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I have been trying to find some information about Jack Roberts. Roberts killed Sam Henderson, the first Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper to die in the line of duty. Roberts ran into Henderson while driving drunk in the Lawton area on May 7, 1941. I know Roberts was convicted and sentenced to 4 years at McAlester. He filed an appeal in March of 42, but I can't seem to find what came to that or if he served time in prison. I know this is a little after the timeline for these threads, but I thought someone might know. Thanks for your help!

Mtwo

Posts: 7 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon November 01 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a quick search on OSCN The Oklahoma State Courts Netwook and found Roberts vs State. It seems that in the appeal, the verdict was reversed and the case remanded back to Comanche County for a new trial. This was under date of 2-13-1946.

There are two things you might try. One is to search the court records in Lawton (county seat of Comanche County) and the other would be to search the newspaper archives at the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City. The Lawton newspapers were pretty good at reporting these sorts of things.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frawg! I will do that.

Posts: 7 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon November 01 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post