Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry Clay Tollett
 Login/Join

posted
Arlen B. Alexander (nephew to Clay Tollett) self published a book about his uncle, Henry Clay Tollett one of FBI's most wanted "From Oklahoma to Alcatraz, The Story of Henry Clay Tollett" tells of the many bank robberies he and associates accomplished
During one trip back to Oklahoma, he hid in a cave on Hgwy 75 which was later destroyed by family members. Interesting read and is loaded with documents from prisons, newspapers, etc. Is anyone familiar with Clay Tollett?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sun July 31 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry Tollett was my grandfather's brother. Would love to get my hands on this book about Clay. My grandfather was Noah Webster Tollett. I grew up in Non, Ok and just left the area in Feb. 2006. There are still alot of Tollett's in the area. Just had our family reunion in Gerty in June.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Tue July 11 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! Henry Clay Tollett was convicted for two bank robberies here in Oregon. Contemporary newspaper stories indicate that his son was also convicted for participating in one of these. By any chance, do you know whatever became of the son? Newspaper articles referred to his as Henry Clay Green.

REB

Posts: 3 | Registered: Thu July 06 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James, I am sure that my brother in law was at
your family reunion.

The book states that the last time anyone saw Henry Green was in California after he went to visit his daughter.

His first robbery was in Calvin, Oklahoma but he did a lot of bank robbery in Oregon too!

posted Hide Post
REB
I just learned from a family member that Henry Clay Green was shot and killed in Oregon. Not sure when.

posted Hide Post
All
Henry Clay Tollett - deceased, fatally wounded June 4, 1951 by a California Highway Patrol officer during the attempt to apprehend him in a stolen car in Redding, California.
This comes from the FBI's web site.
I would still love to have a copy of this book...Oklahoma to Alcatraz...if any one can track one down let me know...okiecb@sbcglobal.net Thanks, James

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Try Amizon.com as they usually have new and/or used copies available.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Sorry, it is Amazon.com! It's early in the moring.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother dated Henry Clay Tollett Jr in the late 30's, maybe the early forties. I'm trying to find any information I can on this man. I have found info on the Sr.; however, I want info on the Jr. Any pictures ????, maybe the book "From Oklahoma to Alcatraz" by Arlen Alexander. I was able to get a picture of the Sr. from files, but I would really like a picture of the Jr. Do you have any info???
Glenda Reynolds

Posts: 3 | Registered: Tue April 10 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some information regarding Henry Clay Tollett Jr. where he died in December 1992, I
believe it was in Oregon or Washington. I'll try to find that info again for accuraey. When he was in jail in Oklahoma City in the 1940's, he ask my mother to come and see him and he would tell her where he had hid some bank money, but my mother chose not to go because she didn't want to be associated with stolen money. This story was given to me by my mother before she died. She also died in December 1992.

posted Hide Post
wow, what a great amount of infomation.thanks.

Posts: 32 | Location: oklahoma city | Registered: Sun November 13 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is more information I found on the Sr. & Jr: Sr - Was born on July 21, 1894 at Dierks, Howard County, Arkansas, the son of Daniel Tripplett TOLLETT (a Native Amerian born ca. August 1878) and Sarah Angeline BLACKWOOD (a caucasian, born ca. September 1877). He was originally sentenced to a term of 25 years for National Bank Robbery imposed on May 24, 1948 and was originally committed to U. S. Penitentiary, McNeil Island, Washington on May 27, 1948. He received a subsequent sentence of 25 years for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon imposed on June 25, 1948 concurrent to his previous sentence; thus his total sentence was 25 years, I month and one day.

On November 22, 1949 he escaped and was not apprehended until June 3, 1951 near Redding, California. He was seriously wounded by gun fire during the attempt to capture him and was admitted to the Shasta County Hospital in very critical condition.

He was tranferred to U. S. Penitentiary, Alcatraz, California on June 11, 1951; he was pronounced dead three days later at 2:50 AM on June 14, 1951. The official cause of death was gunshot wounds of the upper abdomen - perforated stomach, duodenum and ileum. Arrangements were made at the request of a brother, Austin TOLLETT of Bakersfield to send the body to relatives in Holdenville, Oklahoma.

He had three (3) wives, Claudia Jean WALTERMIRE - marriage annulled, Nancy PRINCE - no children, and Charlene JORDAN - a daughter named Marselene or Marcelin, and two common-law wives, Goldie GREEN - a son named Henry Clay Green (born December 31, 1919 at Konawa, Seminole County, Oklahoma) and Ethel CLEVELAND - no children.

It appears the Henry Clay TOLLETT and Henry Clay GREEN, on or about August 29, 1947 robbed the State Bank of Sweet Home, Oregon, obtaining approx. $57,947.00 in currency and $109.75 in checks. It also appears that GREEN received a sentence of six years and four months. He served time at U. S. Penitentiary, McNeil Island, Washington (arriving at the same time as his father. He was later transferred to U. S. Penitentiary., Atlanta, Georgia and later to U. S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth, Kansas. His prisoner ID number at USP McNeil Island, WA was 19879-M and at USP Leavenworth, KS was 66174-L. I do not have the ID for Atlanta, GA.

He died December 3, 1992; a copy of his death certificate occurred in King, County, Washington.

posted Hide Post
My grandmother and Clay Tollett's mother were
sisters and lived in the same area. My mother
was born in Non, Oklahoma and she and my
Grandmother lived in Konowa until my mother
married and moved away. My Uncles , were closely associated
with Clay Tollett as cousin's and all were
young men in the same community simultaneously.
All of my life, I've heard stories about
Clay Tollett and his association with my mom's
family as well as his activities. I can even
recall, as a child, the FBI knocking on our door
and trying to question my mother about Clay Tollett.

I am searching desperately to locate
a copy of "From Oklahoma to Alcatraz" as well
as information re: Daniel T. Tollett. My
mother is 82 now and not in good health -- there
are some "missing" parts of her family history
we would like to locate before it is too late.
I know it is a long shot, but also looking
for ANY information re: Lonzo Stroud aka
Robert Lonzo Stroud, who was married to Jennie
Blackwood (Clay's aunt and uncle). Any help at
all would certainly be greatly appreciated. We
were near "giving up" when I found this website.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sat July 14 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandfather, Austin,is Henry Clay's brother. My teenage boys are very interested in the book and any information you may have about Clay or any other family history. Email me at brandiegitz@cox.net. Please if anyone has a copy of the book, we would love to read it and would return it. From Oklahoma to Alcatraz

Posts: 3 | Registered: Wed February 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book you are trying to find is not available. I published only 20 copies as they were for family members only. They are available from a few Tollett family members, but you would have to ask them for permission to see the book.
I have lots of pictures of Clay and his outlaw gang, but consider them private to the family. You would have to have a good reason or a family member for me to share them with anyone. I would be happy to answer any questions. Arlen Alexander

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu February 11 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Brandie Tollett Gitzendanner and am only wanting photos to share family history with my kids. If you are not comfortable sharing with me since I am a stranger to you I understand. If you want to talk to me. I have a facebook Brandie Tollett Gitzendanner, a myspace Brandie Gitzendanner or a email brandiegitz@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
http://www.facebook.com/#!/?ref=home
I have a picture of Clay on my facebook

posted Hide Post
Howdy,
Just updating my email here......okiecb@msn.com.

Still looking for any info on Henry Clay Tollett or any history on the Tollett family line.

Thanks,
James

posted Hide Post
well Arlen this is Patty Tollett Williams and can you tell us which family members have copies of the book so we could read it? I am also Noah Tollett's granddaughter. My dad was James Tollett that died in 1968. I know there was also a comic book out about Clay Tollett as one of his sister's has a copy of it or at least that is what I am remembering. I do believe that our grandfather use to take food to Clay when he was hid out in the caves down around non..........At the Gerty reunion a couple of years back there were several photos of Clay and even the FBI sheets on him....very interesting information. I would love to know more. any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed August 11 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty my name is Donna Eckel and my grandmother was Lois Tollett Alexander and I have a copy of the book my uncle Arlen wrote. I am looking for a copy of Texas Trails of our Tollett family written by Mary Louise Donnelly. Have you seen this book.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Wed December 01 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post