Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry Starr & His Gang
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I am in the last chapter of OUTLAWS ON HORSEBACK by Harry Sinclair Drago who asserts its factuality and purports to debunk a number of myths perpetuated, in large part, by such largely-fictional rags as The National Police Gazette. It's good reading and well-documented, I believe. It has an excellent chapter on Henry Starr (no kin of Belle's, by the way).

David A Rennie

Posts: 27 | Location: Lexington, Oklahoma | Registered: Wed August 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lickem39:
dos any one have any pictures of tom james or Henry or any of the Starr's i dont have any of them and thaer my famly

I just got home from two days of reading (rather searching through) old photographs at the Western History Center at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. There were several photos in their collections of Henry Starr.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
Has anyone yet run across any convincing documentation of Al Spencer and Grover Durrill ever being members of Starr's gang? It's certainly possible, of course, but I'm very skeptical about these identifications.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I have found no documentation to prove or disprove Spencer or Durrill ran with Henry Starr. In his later years, Henry seemed to recruit relatively unknowns in the field of banitry. Al's only daughter never stated Al being with Henry Starr when I interviewed her some years ago. At Stroud and Harrison bank robberies, Henry was shot and captured, finally dying at Harrison, Arkansas.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lickem39:
dos any one have any pictures of tom james or Henry or any of the Starr's i dont have any of them and thaer my famly

I would love to get some photos or any information at all about the family. Henry was my grandmother's cousin. Sam Starr was her uncle and Old Tom Starr was her grandfather.
Her dad was Tom Jr.
I have just found all of this out this year and am trying very hard to get some information on their lives. My dad was taken away from their home and put into oprhanage along with his borthers and sisters. I never heard anything about my family from Oklahoma.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you so much!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sat April 28 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:
Will you please tell me more about Ed Newcomb, of Henry Starr & his gang? And about any other Newcombs in Oklahoma history. I know there are Newcombs on the Dawes roll, & have seen Newcombs listed on the Ft. Smith site: one, at least, was charged with murder. I have long tried to trace my Great Grandfather, John W. Newcomb, who was supposedly born in Missouri in 1833. He said that he had a brother, who lived in Indian Territory, who was married to a Cherokee? woman called "Black Jane", & that this brother couldn't leave Indian Territory, or he would be arrested. Thanks, Also, I used to be neighbors with a guy who was related to Belle Starr. He said either his Dad or Grandfather(I believe Dad) remembered being in her house, while she was cooking, wearing an apron and a pistol!

Wow!
That's so cool!
I am looking for just this type of candid information. I am trying to find out about my family.
Sam Starr was my great uncle. My father lost touch with his family and so I never learned much about them. He died when I was just seven, anyway, so there wasn't much time.
But I think he was not inclined to talk about them for some reason. I want to know as much as I can so that I can record the information for my children and theirs. I may continue the manuscript my mother has begun about my father's life and include his family's history.
Any information or source referrals would be so much appreciated!!
Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sat April 28 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M. Koch:
Hi,

I have several photos of Henry Starr and recently had a story published by OklahombreS on Henry Starr. If you would like a copy. Please E-mail me at MJK2852@aol.com.

Do you by chance have any photos of the men who helped Starr rob the bank in Harrison, Arkansas in February 1921? I am also in need of a photo of the bank he robbed. Also wonder which late model Nash touring car he used. Starr was the very first bank robber to use an automobile in a heist.

Thanks,

Wolf

Posts: 7 | Location: Manchester, Tennessee | Registered: Sat May 02 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry Starr was not America's first auto-bank bandit.The Poe-Hart and Lewis-Jones Gangs proceeded him by a half-decade....Just a tired old story repeated so many times it eventially became accepted as fact...R.D.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know what type of vehicle they were driving? You have my undivided attention. I need to do some sketches for my next "Gangster Car" calendar, and would like info on these guys you mentioned, along with any photos, etc.. that might be available.

thanks!

Posts: 7 | Location: Manchester, Tennessee | Registered: Sat May 02 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I would be glad to help you! Please contact me at Packers52@Valornet.com as I can scan any photos you may need. Thanks for you interest.

Mike Koch

posted Hide Post
Here are some of my "gangster car" drawings so you have an idea of the type of work I do. I put them on T-Shirts and have a 2009 calendar too!

http://www.cafepress.com/gangstercarshop

posted Hide Post
http://siris-archives.si.edu/i...0001~!32230~!0#focus

Tom Starr, about 70 years old Cherokee outlaw 1881

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool! Wonder what his kinship was to Belle Star and Henry Star? If any?

Thanks!

Will

posted Hide Post
http://members.tripod.com/cher...838/thomas_starr.htm

WolfmanJack, I can't verify how accurate this site is, but it looks like it has some good information about the Starrs. It says that Tom was Belle Starr's Father in law.

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, there's a picture of Henry Starr, and beneath it, a pic. of Sam Starr here:

http://books.google.com/books?...7&dq=Newcom#PPA27,M1

<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

There are two pictures reported to be Henry Starr on page 27. The top photo of two men of which neither one is Henry Starr. The bottom picture on page 27 is Henry Starr.

posted Hide Post
Anybody know how this rumor of "Henry Starr's Hidden Loot" in Stevens County, Kansas could have gotten started. It makes no sense that he would have hidden something such a long distance away. Besides anywhere near the Cimarron River would be a poor place to stash something. The whole place is full of quicksand and subject to flash floods.

The bits I've read say that Henry was quoted on his deathbed as saying the money was hidden “near the border in a place nobody could find it in a million years.”

The river only cuts across the northwest corner of the county and this isn't really very close to either the Oklahoma or Colorado borders. This is along the Santa Fe Trail roughly from just southwest of Wagon Bed Springs down to just a few miles northeast of the Middle Springs at Point Rock Ranch very near Sand Wells Ranch.

I know for a fact that some of the ranchers out that way say the are getting tired of pulling treasure hunters of the quicksand.

Posts: 60 | Location: Hugoton, Stevens Co, KS | Registered: Mon March 31 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

Remember most bandits were not that smart and hid their stolen loot is places they assumed were safe at the time. Henry went to Colorado and robbed a bank there, thus could have easily buried some of the loot in a place in Stevens County, Kansas or elsewhere. We shall never know the truth as it died with him in Arkansas.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi,

There are two pictures reported to be Henry Starr on page 27. The top photo of two men of which neither one is Henry Starr. The bottom picture on page 27 is Henry Starr.

M.Koch

Does anyone have any idea who the man is, if he isn't Henry Starr?

Also, does anyone know what year Ed Newcome went to prison, how many years he was in prison, & what happened to him? Did he live to get out of prison?

posted Hide Post
Guest wrote:

I think Jesse "Bud" Jackson comitted suicide; however, I don't have a date on that. He's buried in the Armstrong Cemetery in Nowata County.

Can Guest give a source on Jesse Jackson being buried in the Armstrong Cemetery in Nowata county? Thusfar, myself and another person can't find him buried there, altho I did read that Armstrong cemetery was moved.

another question: How accurate, in your opinion, is the book " Outlaw Tales of Oklahoma" by Robert Barr Smith?

thanks,
Martha