Find
Notify
Tools

THE MULLENDORE MURDER CASE
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRKidd:
Chub has been back a couple of times since he was first on the run. Everyone kept it hush. If he wouldn't have been on the run he wouldn't be sick right now. He is only having all of these health problems because of one of the jobs he worked while he was running. My grandpa is Chub's brother. My mom, Chub's niece, says that there is no way that Chub was behind the Mullendore murder. Also, there is no way he would ever confess if he did it. Not even on his death bed.

Ah, family loyalty shines brightly! And rightly so! But every closet contains at least one skeleton; just don't open the door too far!

David A Rennie

Posts: 26 | Location: Lexington, Oklahoma | Registered: Wed August 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Monkres:
When I read "The Mullendore Murder," in '72 or '73,written by a NY newspaper reporter if I recall correctly, I was surprised at the number of names I recognized in that part of the story that dealt with the life insurance purchases. Who were the beneficiaries? Were any proceeds ever paid to those beneficiaries? And did any of the insurance companies conduct their own investigations? If so, what were the results of those investigations?
Anyone have any information that might address those questions?
Duane M

Duane, I think you'll have to go to the Osage (or Washington) County probate records to see the details of EC III's estate. His wife was the beneficary on his insurance policies. She collected all they could legally be caused to pay.

David A Rennie

Posts: 26 | Location: Lexington, Oklahoma | Registered: Wed August 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have thought of this case and was happy to find this area on the net..I don't know if my memory is serving me correctly or not, I may be linking this case with another, but does anyone know if someone on the Grand Jury was killed by a car bomb. I'm remembering a case where the wife of a Grand Jury member went to start the car and was killed. I just don't remember if it was the Mullendore case. Any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mon February 26 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, family loyalty shines brightly! And rightly so! But every closet contains at least one skeleton; just don't open the door too far

Family Loyalty?! Maybe but I never really knew the guy. He was already on the run when I would have been old enough to remember him. I knew nothing of the case until my high school years and I bought the book. The family is very hush on the matter. I hear things from my mother who hears from her mother who hears from her husband (Chub's brother, my grandpa). I have never heard him even mention his brother's name let alone divulge information over the issue. I totally think it's possible that chub was behind it but not any more so than 50 other people.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue February 20 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't spent alot of time in Osage County, or ever talked with Sheriff George Wayman, then, as they say up in the Osage, "You don't know what the Hell your talking about"!! Do you know how Chubb Anderson and Mullendore happened to be together that evening?? Have you talked to any witnesses? Do you know anything except what is on the internet??? Go to Osage county and research.....Get out of your livingroom with it!!!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Sun May 14 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rather interesting story for you all... When I was a preteen, before the turn of the century, I found this book in my grandmothers book case, "The Mullendore Murder Case". I idly flipped through it until I got to the back cover. There I saw something that made my eyes light up! "19 APRIL 1975 Central Intelligence Agency United States of America Alumni Day No 597 Audrey M Tucker". It was something my great aunt Audrey (The only thing i've ever heard mentioned of her was that she used to be CIA) had posessed, and for some reason or another had passed onto my grandparents; Mary Ruth and Lloyd Otto Tucker. The second name may sound familiar. My grandfather was mentioned several times in the book. In my youth I was only able to finish part of the book before my trip was over, but since then, i've inherited the book, and am just now beginning to reread it. Some things I found interesting though, upon questioning my grandmother about it (My grandfather died when I was a toddler) were the following: Tex (my grandfathers nickname) often traveled to Oklahoma, Tulsa in particular to sell Insurance. My grandmother had never heard of E.C. Mullendore III and was adament that tex had no mafia ties. She didn't even recall her sister in law giving her the book, which led me to think she gave it to tex. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed a few years ago, and now to the best of my knowledge there is no one left in the Tucker family who would know anything about this. I questioned my father about the issue, but he had never heard mention of it.

Well, I figured I'd give you some information about the story, maybe something you haven't heard. I'm off to re-read it!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri June 08 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not read anything recently on the state of Chub's health. It seems resonable that one of the major newspapers (OKC or Tulsa) would have a story if he'd passed away. Has that happened? If not, where is he confined? His "deathbed confession" would certainly be of general interest if he were to make one. What about Sheriff Wayman? Is he still taking an active interest in Chub's "untold" story? What about the Mullendore family? They still operate (apparently, very successfully) the Cross-Bell Ranch. Has anyone followed "True Okie's" suggestion to "get out of your living room with it"? How 'bout you, "True Okie?" Still in your living room? (My computer's in my office, by the way.)

David A Rennie

posted Hide Post
It is interesting to read the opinions in the Mullendore case as they relate to Chub Anderson. I was the only photographer in KS there when he was brought in to Sedan that night and had the chance to get inside while he was booked and readied for transport to Independence, KS. I sat across the desk from him as he ate dinner and it was kinda funny, he looked at his KBI wanted poster and then grinned and showed me the poster and asked "do you think this is why I can't get a date with a nice girl? These pictures are awful!" It was a surreal moment to say the least. I have gone through the entire probate file (over 10 folders, each one at least 3-4 inches thick), have gone through all the articles, the book, interviewed Sheriff Waymon and corresponded with Chub while he was in Lansing Prison. I ran into Chub in Caney, KS at the Gunny Sack about two weeks ago and he remembered me and chatted. I can tell you that his health is not great but he didn't look as bad as the day he was sentenced (I was there for that too). Keep posting interesting and informative items on the case here if you all can and will. It is an interesting topic. They are the "Kennedeys" of the cattle world if you think about it. By the way, if you read the estate files you will get a more accruate idea of the financial state of the ranch at the time, it was really terrible. I saw one day shopping trips at the Hallmark Store in Kansas City for $15,000! The flights from here to KC, Tulsa and Dallas were a minor fortune. By the way, I filed under FOIA and other things journalists like to use to see and get any and all case files, they are mysteriously not able to be found and the case evidence is gone now, just seemed to walk out of the storage areas. Interesting.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu June 28 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have just started reading the book, and while i do not believe that Chub was the trigger man, i do believe that he had some knowledge of what was going on, do not forget that the Ranch was in terrible shape y'all, the only way to save it was to have E.C. dead. nobody was going to hand them the money to refinance the place, and they were sinking fast. It could have been any number of people, including the banks, how else were they to get repaid? and he was also in with the mafia at the end also, lets not forget how his dad (Gene) was all out aginst chapter 2 and how he had to have those stupid Buffalo and the bird house that cost a bundle in itself. and his wife (Linda) stod to make a pretty penny also when she realized that he (E.C.) would not be able to support her forever.

as a side note, does anybody know where i can get any additional information on the ranch or how/who is running it today?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed October 24 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way I heard this story was EC had caught Chub and Linda in the pool together earlier in the day he got killed. Then later that day EC and Chub went to Caney where they got plastered at the 4th Street Bar and at the Pioneer Bar. They then went to the stock car races at Caney before heading back to the ranch.

Once back at the ranch EC grab at gun in the study to shoot Chub over what he had seen earlier in the day and Chub then grabbed one as well and shot EC. Then Chub had the other guy with him shoot him to make it look like a robbery.

Obviously this is all hearsay but that's what I heard.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sun December 09 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are looking in the wrong direction, looking for the obvious, might want to look West, "Ark city"

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mon February 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the answer to the murder lies in the Ford mustang with the burned out tail light, that was leaving south down the main road from the houses to the main road.....one other thing, people need to leave Chubb alone.
quote:
Originally posted by termite:
People are looking in the wrong direction, looking for the obvious, might want to look West, "Ark city"

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed February 20 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check into the cattle firm that took control of the ranch shortly after the murder. It has ties to KC as well as Arkansas City, KS. The KC ties might just have a Cevella name associated to it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mon February 11 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a lie try Kent Green
quote:
Originally posted by Harold Horn:
Whodunit?? Try the name Chubb Anderson !!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri May 09 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently visited in Bartlesville and was told by several old timers various things about the mullendore murder case. I was also given a book written about it in 1974. I am very curious what has happened since. I was told chub is in jail in Kansas recently. Also that the ranch recovered and is in family ownership. I'd sure like to hear or be able to read something about what has occurred since 1974. Can anyone advise me?
thanks, L

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sun June 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David A Rennie:
I've not read anything recently on the state of Chub's health. It seems resonable that one of the major newspapers (OKC or Tulsa) would have a story if he'd passed away. Has that happened? If not, where is he confined? His "deathbed confession" would certainly be of general interest if he were to make one. What about Sheriff Wayman? Is he still taking an active interest in Chub's "untold" story? What about the Mullendore family? They still operate (apparently, very successfully) the Cross-Bell Ranch. Has anyone followed "True Okie's" suggestion to "get out of your living room with it"? How 'bout you, "True Okie?" Still in your living room? (My computer's in my office, by the way.)
I recently visited in Bartlesville and was told by several old timers various things about the mullendore murder case. I was also given a book written about it in 1974. I am very curious what has happened since. I was told chub is in jail in Kansas recently. Also that the ranch recovered and is in family ownership. I'd sure like to hear or be able to read something about what has occurred since 1974. Can anyone advise me?
thanks, L

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sun June 01 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband grew up in the Mullendore ranch area and remembers playing in the old Buck Boren Mullendore ranchhouse outside of Caney, KS after it had been vacated. He is now 53! We would like to find a link to or a website of old photographs of the Buck Boren Mullendore house. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri June 13 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ann parker, I think you are thinking of Rex Brinlee. Not sure that had anything to do with Mullendore.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/itemsofinterest/cent...207_Ne_A7_Convi34428

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GBE,

Posts: 18 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Fri June 06 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the area, my father even did some cow pushing on the Mullendor years after EC's death. I find it interesting that the story i have always been told didn't come up here, so i'll throw it out there... E.C. III knew the ranch was going to go under and asked Chub to kill him to save the ranch and the rest of the family... I'm interested to hear what those of you who have really studied this think of this theory.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed July 23 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cvillgrl, I talked to a lady yesterday who is convinced that Chubb killed EC at his request to save the ranch. She interviewed someone in Chubb's family years ago and got that theory from that interview. From what I hear, EC didn't have enough guts to do something like that. I think former Osage County law enforcement personnel know who did it since one of them ended up with some Cross Bell jewelry that night and showed up at home with blood on his clothes. Anyone?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sun August 10 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post