OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Officer Jim Hutchinson, Healdton PD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officer Jim Hutchinson, Healdton PD
 Login/Join

posted
Newly found fallen OK officer.
Does anyone have any info on this Healdton police officer who died in or around March 1930 from in-the-line-of-duty gunshot wounds?
He is noted as having been the youngest ever Deputy US Marshal and was Sheriff of Carter County at one time according to Ardmoreite article from March ?, 1930.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial
PO Box 10776
Oklahoma City, OK 73140-1776
e-mail: oklememorial@aol.com

Posts: 144 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope this is of some help, Dennis.

The Daily Ardmoreite Ardmore, Oklahoma Tuesday, June 3, 1930

DEFENDANT IS RETURNED HERE
Charged With Death of Veteran Peace Officer of Healdton Some Weeks Ago.
Charles Smith, -who is now serving a five year term In the state penitentiary at McAlester will be returned to Ardmore on Tuesday by Dwight Bell, deputy Sheriff. He is scheduled to be given a preliminary hearing on Wednesday in connection with a charge of murder filed against him after Jim Hutchinson, Healdton policeman, had died of a gunshot wound said to have been inflicted by Smith.

Smith is serving time on connection with a manslaughter conviction two or three years ago in which he was found guilty of the death of Elbera Holder, Healdton high school girl. The girl was run down and fatally injured by Smiths car.

Resisted Arrest

It was in connection with this same case that he is alleged to have shot Jim Hutchinson. Bondsmen, on learning that Smiths appeal on the manslaughter charge had been refused, ask Hutchinson and another Healdton officer to arrest the defendant and take him to jail. When they approached the house, Smith barricaded himself and fired. He shot Hutchinson in the leg. The wound became infected, and the officer died. His death occurred on the day that Smith was taken to McAlester to begin serving his first sentence.

Preliminary hearing for Smith will be held before Fount Dustin, Justice of the peace, it was said.

-----------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daniel Baker,

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also-

The Daily Ardmoreite Ardmore, Oklahoma Thursday, March 27, 1930

Peace officer Succumbs here Results wounds

Jim Hutchinson of Healdton passes away Thursday morning at Ardmore hospital

Eight children and wife survive

Hutchinson was wounded attempting to arrest Charles Smith

Jim Hutchinson, Healdton peace officer, died Thursday morning at an Ardmore hospital where he was undergoing treatment for injuries suffered in a gun battle while attempting to arrest Charles Smith, wanted in default of bond. Hutchinson was shot through his left knee and died from complications caused by infection of the wound. He is survived by a wife and eight children, two of whom are babies. Arrangements for the funeral are incomplete pending word from relatives In other cities. The funeral will be held Friday at Healdton. with other details to be announced later. In State Penitentiary Smith, who surrendered some time after he had wounded Hutchinson, was already under sentence for the death of a Healdton school child. It was in connection with this case that the officers were attempting to arrest him, the appellate court having affirmed the case against him. He is now serving time in the state penitentiary.

---------------------------------------------

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dan. I still can not find any articles on him in the Daily Oklahoman or by using the Ok Historical Society's Gateway papers. What search site are you using to find theese? I still am not sure when he was shot and assume he died Thursday, March 27, 1930, since The Ardmoreite is a daily paper. Appreciate any further help you can give me to get him added to the Nat'l LEO Memorial.

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776

Posts: 144 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis-changed my user name to my real name. I pay a pretty hefty annual price to newspaper archives. There is a lot of info there. Then I have to type it all out, because it doesn't copy and paste well. That takes some time, because I am a lousy typist! I believe he died the week before, which would have been the 20th. I read something on the 21st that would make me believe that is right. I'll see if I can find it again. The two articles I posted were by far the most informative, but sometimes even a little piece of overlooked information is important. I'll see what else I can find, and see if it has any relevance.

Dan

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

posted Hide Post
Small piece, but it would indicate that he was still alive on the Friday, 21st of March, so if he died on a Thursday, It would have had to have been the 27th of March.

March 21, 1930 Daily Ardomoreite

Jim Hutchinson, special police, who contracted pneumonia following a gunshot wound, is making satisfactory progress toward recovery at the Von Keller hospital

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Dan. I will make a trip to the OK History Center and physically look at the Daily Ardmoreite papers. I know what you mean about copying articles on line. The Gateway papers have to be copied in pieces and put together. Have a wonderful weekend,
Dennis

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dennis,

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776

posted Hide Post
Daniel, I have located a few more Ardmoreite articles plus his 1917-18 Draft Registration, 1920 Census, 1930 Census (taken after his death) and 1940 Census where his wife is remarried, his Find-A-Grave page. His correct name is James Henry Hutchison. He was shot on February 18, 1930.
According to Ardmoreite article of June 8, 1930, Smith waived prelim and was sent back to Big Mac to await a trial date. Will make another trip to OK History Center to try and find results of trial.
Thank you again for all of your help.
Dennis

Dennis L Lippe, Chairman
PO Box 10776