Find
Notify
Tools

A Murder in Tulsa
 Login/Join

<MKoch>
posted
Hi all,

As Christmas draws near and people are looking for gifts, why not purchase a book from one of our Oklahoma members. I currently have a new book from PublishAmerica called "A Murder in Tulsa: The Sherrill Murder Case & The Rise of The Barker-Karpis Gang," which is available only through the publisher currently for $21.95. Forward by Oklahombres member and writer R. D. Morgan. It is 250 pages in length and has 15 photographs, some have never before been published. It should soon be on Amazon.com and in some local book stores. I hope you can pick up a copy along with other hombres members books as they have written excellent stories on our Oklahoma history. Lets all support their efforts.

Mike

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw back in October that PublishAmerica would no longer use Amazon. Was that just another internet rumor?
They have always been somewhat controversial, does it work for you?

Posts: 60 | Location: Hugoton, Stevens Co, KS | Registered: Mon March 31 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to add: I've read the manuscript and Mike has written a "Cracker-Jack" story that is not just entertaining but historically accurate. Highly recommended...R.D.Morgan

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by channeltwelve:
I saw back in October that PublishAmerica would no longer use Amazon. Was that just another internet rumor?
They have always been somewhat controversial, does it work for you?

Hi,

Sorry, but don't alway believe what you read! Amazon.com has several PublishAmerica books on their web site. See "Roe's Decision" which is currently on it, as it is a new book from PublishAmerica. My book will not be available to the general public, via internet sites until Feb. 1, 2009, so the only way to get a copy before X-mas would be to order one from the publisher. I hope this clears up your question and concerns. Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

Mike Koch

<MKoch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RDMorgan:
Just to add: I've read the manuscript and Mike has written a "Cracker-Jack" story that is not just entertaining but historically accurate. Highly recommended...R.D.Morgan

Hi,

I would like to thank Mr. & Mrs. Morgan, (Mr. Morgan was gracious enough to help me in my effort and write the forward to my new book), along with others who contributed to my latest work. Thanks so much!

Mike

posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I was wondering how you were able to use those photos of my great grandfather with out my permission?
Mike Atkins

Posts: 5 | Location: tulsa ok usa | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi Mike,

I would be glad to discuss this with you since you for some reason you feel this was done unethically or has by-passed you. A forum like Oklahombres is not the place for anything of a personal nature. You should have my home and E-mail addresses. If for some reason you don't here is my E-mail address: Packers52@Valornet.com. Please contact me as I would be glad to discuss this with you. I tried to get you to respond to my request a few months ago, via the mail, so I could send you a copy of my book, but I never heard back from you until now. I'll be waiting to hear from you soon!

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Maybe as an interested third patty, I can give some perspective on this. I have produced television programs for over 20 years, I hardly ever have copyrighted any of my work because I wish the people that are in the programs to be able to use the material for their own purposes.

Possessing the photograph isn't the same thing as owning a copyright on it, even if you are the one who took the photo. This changed a little about 1984 when the law sad that the creator of a work had an automatic copyright on it. This isn't really worth much unless you still go through the process of filing formally for a copyright.

Almost nobody ever oopyrights family photos. Many times these fall into the hands of museums, libraries, and historical societies. Sometimes they get a copyright on one that they think is significant but for most they don't bother. A photo that was never copyrighted is assumed to be in the public domain.

Please rest assured that publishers go to quite a bit of trouble to insure that photos are unincumbered before they print it.

As professionals we usually go even farther than just the letter of the law. We usually try to do the best we can for all concerned. I recently re-wrote some parts of a story so as not to reveal some family ancestry of a man who didn't want everyone to know his connection to my subject.

There aren't normally any huge profits in historical books and we don't do it just to make quick buck regardless of who we run over.
We won't make anything if we're tied up in court all the time. Life is just too short to waste it making enemies everywhere we go.

Posts: 60 | Location: Hugoton, Stevens Co, KS | Registered: Mon March 31 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post