Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Research Question
 Login/Join

posted
I'm conducting research on my great-grandfather, Glen Leroy Wright. I did a google search on his full name, and came up with a resource I've never heard of...www.newspaperarchive.com. It says there are 11 articles from the 1930's which match that search.

Has anyone used this website/webservice? I'd like some references before I invest in a yearly or monthly subscription.

THANKS for your feedback!

**Mike Roberts, Great grandson of Glen Leroy Wright, "It was a cop's duty to bust a cap at me. It was their sworn duty to knock me down, and my own duty to try to get up again."

Posts: 12 | Location: Brandon, MS, USA | Registered: Wed December 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I don't know the cost of this to you, but it may be easier for me to check out the listing from the Oklahoma City newspaper files. I have several listings on Glenn Wright from Oklahoma and some from Kansas newpapers. After the holiday's I don't mind checking out the articles from both sources if you wish. You may contact me at Packers52@Valornet.com. We have E-mailed each other in the past concerning Wright. Good luck.

Mike Koch; Author of "The Kimes Gang" and "A Murder in Tulsa: The Sherrill Murder Case & The Rise of the Barker-Karpis Gang."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike Roberts,

I ran a quick check of the Daily Oklahoman Electronic Archives and came up with around ten (10) good articles, relating to Glenn Roy Wright:

5/4/1932 (p5) "Tulsa Thieves Miss $100G Securities" . . . robbed Wilcox Oil & Gas Company on 4/15/1932. Suspects are Glenn Roy Wright, Harry Campbell and Jack Kennedy.

8/18/1933 (p1 & p10) "Salter Sent Here in Urschel Case; State Outlaw (Gene Johnson) Killed by Posse" . . . (dateline Springtown, Arkansas) Glenn Roy Wright escaped shoot-out.

9/18/1933 (p1) "(Harvey) Bailey's Aids Elude Police" . . . {dateline Tulsa} Bailey's lawyer, J. Earl Smith, was killed about a year ago because he knew too much. Suspects in killing are Glenn Roy Wright and Harry Campbell.

3/6/1934 (p1 c2-3) "Bremer Kidnapping Suspects (Karpis & Doc Barker) Missed by Day in U.S. Raid" . . . Lawmen arrest 6 men and 2 women at Mannford, Ok. Arrested: Glenn Roy Wright (34), Charles Cotner (49), Ed Brophy/Brodie (aka Pat Collins)(58), Ira Brackett, J.W. McAtee, Frank Downey (aka J.C. Johnson); also, Grace Cutler & Winnie Morris.

4/6/1934 (p20) "Outlaw May Face Murder Charge" . . . {Stillwater, Ok} Glenn Roy Wright pled guilty to robbery. He's suspected in the Ottowa County (Ok) murder of William Witten, auto-convoy employee.

4/7/1934 (p2 c3) "Pair Given Life for 'Sale' Robbery" . . . {Stillwater, Ok} Glenn Roy Wright and Pat Collins (aka Ed Brodie) raided a farm auction of $5,000.

3/4/1940 (p1 c3) "Convict Shot, Break Foiled at McAlester" . . . Glenn Roy Wright (41) wounded by 3 blasts from shotgun. Serving Life for armed robbery from Payne Co. First to Big Mac on 1/19/1921 - 7yrs for burglary. To T.B. Ward. Escaped 11/4/1924. (Note: Other three inmates captured in failed break-out were Frank Sawyer (40), Judson Ellis (30), & W. E. Blakemore(39).)

1/22/1949 Daily Okla.{Tulsa dateline} Glenn Roy Wright robbed Tulsa furniture dealer & Shangri La Night Club ($5000).

12/14/1950 (p1c5 & p2c2) "FBI Captures Tulsa Badman" . . . Glenn Roy Wright had escaped from custody on 9/14/1948. He was placed on the FBI's 10-Most-Wanted list on 3/22/1950. When he was captured this time, he was standing near a magazine display, reading Detective Magazines at a drug store in Salina, Kansas.

From this article: Glenn Roy Wright was first imprisoned in the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Received a 3 year sentence for threatening, or assaulting, an Officer with a weapon. (It sounds like Wright was in the military at this time.)

He was sent to the Oklahoma State Pen (OSP) at McAlester, Ok., on 1/19/1921, serving a 7 year sentence for burglary;
Escaped 11/4/1924 - from T.B. Ward(?);
Re-captured in January 1925;
Released in November 1926;
Returned to OSP in March of 1927, serving 10 years from Tulsa Co...armed robbery;
Released in March 1932;
8/16/1932 - suspected in the killing of attorney J. Earl Smith;
Arrested at Mannford, Ok, on 3/15/1934;
Attempted to escape from OSP on 3/4/1940;

On 9/14/1948, Glenn Roy Wright was allowed to visit with his sick mother at her home in Tulsa. He was accompanied by a single Prison Guard. When the guard allowed Wright to go into her room - - ALONE, Glenn Roy Wright sneaked out the window. (NO SHOOT-OUT . . . as reported in Helmer & Mattix book, "The Complete Public Enemy Almanac" p.433).

Daily Oklahoman 5/7/1954 (Obit.) Glenn Roy Wright, the Cookson Hills Outlaw, serving Life for robbery, died at Big Mac.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the correction on that detail. This will be amended in the future. As we all know sources don't always agree and a volume covering crime through the entire nation is bound to repeat a few errors, especially on less documented and relatively minor figures like Glenn Wright. I've yet to see a book by anyone that is 100% accurate. By the way, the Wright entry is page 443, not 433.

Rick Mattix

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Complete Public Enemy Almanac", by William J. Helmer and Rick Mattix is a GREAT BOOK! It is an UNBELIEVABLE compilation of stories, facts and figures, dealing with the gangsters, outlaws and lawmen of the first-half of the Twentieth Century. A Masterful Work! I don't go ANYWHERE without it.

(Thanks, for the correction on my "page no.".)

The article concerning the escape is:

Daily Oklahoman 9/15/1948 (p1c3) {Tulsa Dateline 9/14/1948} "Prisoner (Glenn Roy Wright) on (Mother's) Sick-Bed Visit, Escapes Guard (A. L. Jones)"

posted Hide Post
Mike,

There's another terrific article entitled, "Central Park: Cradle of Crime?" by Bob Winter. Mr. Winter makes the case that more potential FBI "Most Wanted" characters sprang out of the Central Park Gang of Tulsa, Oklahoma, than any other one location.

Although Glenn Leroy Wright is only "sligltly" mentioned in this article, reporting his close association with Harry Campbell, it's an excellent story of the people and places from which Wright and his fellow gangster friends frequented.

This article includes a topographical (period) map of the Central Park region in Tulsa; and, (solo) photo-shots of: Glenn Roy Wright, Alvin Karpis, Fred & Arthur "Doc" Barker, Jesse Doyle, Harry "Limpy" Campbell, Ray Terrill, Lawrence "Larry" Devol, and Volney Davis.

Other nefarious individuals, who may or may not have been members of the Central Park Gang, but rate an honorable mention in this exciting story are:

Herman & Lloyd Barker, Roland "Shorty" Williams, Jimmy Lawson, Will Green (aka James Nelson), Elmer Hull, Early Whinnery, Kenneth & Edgar Burnside, Jimmy "Blackie" Saxton, Gregory O'Connell, Roy "Red" Nance, Merritt "Doc" Darnell, Utah "Chief" Carroll, George "Burhead" Kade/Katy/Keady, Mack Gray (aka Jack Sutherland, Jack Potts), Howard Musgrave (aka Carpenter), and the Minion brothers.

(Source: OKOLHA Journal {Vol. 4 No. 4 pp. 2-6, Winter 2007}).

posted Hide Post
quote:
"Central Park: Cradle of Crime?"

Wow! Those are some excellent resources!

Is the Central Park article on the Daily Oklahoman Electronic Archives as well?

I'll have to buy a subscription and download all of the full articles!

Thanks!

**Mike Roberts, Great grandson of Glen Leroy Wright, "It was a cop's duty to bust a cap at me. It was their sworn duty to knock me down, and my own duty to try to get up again."

Posts: 12 | Location: Brandon, MS, USA | Registered: Wed December 17 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always pondered about Wright's true involvment in both the Smith and Robert Hammers (Nightwatchman Wichita, Ks)murders and while Wright was a indeed a minor figure on the national crime scene he certainly ran with some of the big-dogs here in Oklahoma. Also, his involvent with Charley Cotner and the Tommy Hill Gang in general deserves further scrutiny...

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi, Mike,

The article you are looking for is not from the Oklahoman, but another Oklahoma historical group, which has a journal called Okolha. It is in this journal Vo. 4, No. 4, Pages 2-6 of their Winter 2007 issue, which has this article. You can look for how to get a copy of the article from their web page, I would assume. I agree that the Central Park gang had a large group of young hoodlums, some of which would later becoem infamous in their own right. R. D. Morgan and myself have written on this subject matter in books.

Mike Koch, Author of "A Murder in Tulsa: The Sherrill Murder Case & The Rise of the Barker-Karpis Gang."

posted Hide Post
There is evidence suggesting Wright ran with Jeff Duree's bunch of night-time oilfield bank burglars, circa 1920-21.Included in that group was Harry Campbell, Shorty Williams and Ray Terrill.Incidentaly, the often-reported theory implyng Ray Terril invented the quick getaway bank burglary is probably erroneous. (*Pull up in a winch truck--wrap a chain on the door,pull off the door, wrap a chain on the safe, winch it on to the truck and open the safe at your ease.)Evidence suggests that honor may go to Jeff Duree who was Terrill's mentor 1918-24....

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for compliment on The Complete Public Enemy Almanac and hope I didn't sound gruff there as it wasn't my intention. (By the way, for those that don't have it, might be a good time to order a copy as Cumberland House has just sold out to another company and all their true-crime titles may soon disappear unless a new home can be found for 'em.)

I'd agree whole-heartedly with Bob Winter's assessment of the Central Park Gang. Tulsa and Oklahoma both produced a huge quantity of desperate and violent outlaws. I also enjoyed Winter's book Mean Men which explored the same theme and am looking forward as well to Mike Koch's book on the Sherrill murder.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike Roberts,

I understand that a subscription to the Daily Oklahoman Electronic Archives is a little expensive - - for an indivdual. Fortunately, access to this great database has been made available to local citizens through our Metro Library System - - "on-line" and at all Metro-library locations, including at the Oklahoma History Center.

Therefor, it might be possible for a non-resident to pay a minimal fee to the Metro Library System for a library card, gaining access to all of their very informative databases, including the Electronic Archives. I'm not sure what their policy is concerning out-of-state memberships.

For now, if you will e-mail your snail-mail address to me at: oldwest100@aol.com - - I will see that you get copies of the above mentioned newspaper articles, and a copy of the Okolha Journal (Winter 2007).

Merry Christmas!

posted Hide Post
Mr.Roberts my great-great uncle was Volney Davis. I've found alot of information about him on the web but I am looking for other info not readily available on the net. While I am an Oklahoma local (Tulsa) I was unable to procure an OKC library card to search the Daily Oklahoman archives. Could you offer any help or info?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed July 01 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I have a lot of information on Volney Davis in my new book "A Murder in Tulsa: The Sherrill Murder Case & The Rise of the Barker-Karpis Gang." It can be ordered at most book stores in Tulsa if not available or on Amazon.com.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Dizzle, sorry, but I can't be of assistance to you. I live in MS, and would probably encounter similar difficulties in obtaining an OK library card.

--Mike Roberts

posted Hide Post
(Source: The (Saturday) Oklahoman 8/29/2009 p4D)

The Pioneer Library System, which covers Cleveland, McClain and Pottawatomie Counties in Oklahoma, offers a data base to the Daily Oklahoman Electronic Archives.

Through a special agreement with Metropolitan Library System, Oklahoma County residents, who have a Metropolitan Library card also qualify for a Pioneer Library System card at no charge. Pioneer Library cardholders also qualify for a Metropolitan card under the agreement.

Residents of Canadian, Lincoln, Okfuskee, Seminole, Pontotoc, Garvin and Grady Counties, can obtain a Pioneer Library card for $60 per year. All other Oklahoma residents will pay $70; and, people who live in OTHER STATES or COUNTRIES will pay $80.

There are about 200 non-resident customers who pay an annual fee to use the system's libraries, according to officials.

For more information, call 701-2620 (area code?); or, go to www.pls.lib.ok.us.

posted Hide Post
So very interesting to run into this blog and information posted about Glen Roy Wright and to read posts from his great grandson! Hello, Mike Roberts. I am a great granddaughter of Tilman Bocock, who was one of the officers who arrested Glen Roy Wright in 1934. I have a very interesting copy of a letter Tilman wrote to the Pardon & Parole officer dated 1947 (before Wright's escape in 1948). It gives lots of info. I'd love to share it with anyone interested, but can't seem to attach it via this forum. I'd love a copy of newspaper articles mentioning Wright's arrest in 1934 if anyone has access. ~ Amy

Posts: 1 | Registered: Tue October 04 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Previous Info on Glen Leroy Wright)