Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George 'Hookey' Miller
 Login/Join

posted
Ken Butler's 'Oklahoma Renegades' book had an informative chapter on George 'Hookey' Miller.
This outlaw/lawman was a friend to my grandfather, Martin HATCHER, of Garvin County.
Hookey became a frequent dinner guest in the Hatcher farm home West of Paoli where, on more than one occasion, a business deal was struck soliciting Hookey's unique talents to assist the Hatcher family.
Do any contributors to Oklahombres.org know of Hookey Miller's exploits in and around Garvin and Pontotoc Counties that were NOT covered in Butler's book?....Dave (dda3@primary.net)

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sun August 07 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-laws Uncle Eddie Hendrix was shot and killed by George D "Hookie" Miller in a saloon in the "the Corners" around 1893.

Hookie was also part of a Posse that captured Will (William) Hendrix in 1910 wanted for murdering his father-in-law.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sun January 01 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In researching for a speech, I found a story about Hookey at Connor's Corner, which was described as a notorious outlaw hangout where many murders occured. In fact, murder was so common that the saloon had its own graveyard out back.

It seems at some point Hookey planned a big party and passed the word to all the outlaws in the area along with those who occasionally hid out at the saloon which was just inside Indian Territory outside the reach of the whiteman's law.

In preparation for the party, Hookey concocked a big vat of wild blackberry wine. When it was fermented just right, he strained out the seeds and threw them in the backyard.

The outlaws arrived and drank the wine. The party was soon in full swing. Everyone was more than a little inebriated and deciced to go to the backyard and cool off.

That's when they noticed the chickens wobbling drunkenly around the yard, their heads bobbing loosely up and down. Apparently they had imbibed the fermented blackberry seeds and were more than a little tipsy.

The outlaws laughed uproariously and one of them decided it would be good target practice to shoot the heads off the chickens. Hookey and the others thoroughly enjoyed the show until Hookey began to sober up and realized that every one of his chickens had been killed.

The more he thought about it, the angrier Hookey became. A fight broke out and Hookey shot the chicken shooter. The shooter fell dead in the yard.

The outlaws buried the chicken shooter in the graveyard. They fried up the chicken and the party continued.

Not sure that's all true, but if it's not it should be.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Fri August 11 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm related to Gary (post above) wife....distantly.

I heard stories about Hookie Miller my whole life growing up. Bad guy. Killed my great grandma's brother Eddie Hendrix in a saloon fight. captured Will Hendrix, Eddie's brother, when he was a marshall ....Hookie got his in I believe in Chandler, OK where he was shot by an Indian he had tried to run out of town when he was sheriff there.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed August 16 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hookie Miller was killed in Three Sands, OK in the early 1920's. He was working as a lawman there and was shot and killed by an outlaw he was planning on arresting. Ken Butler wrote about this in his book. He was planning on writing a book about Hookie but I just read that he has passed away. My grandfather, Tom Black, told me that Hookie Miller was the meanest man he ever met. He used to hang out at a place called the Corner Saloon, which was located on the north bank of the South Canadian River south of where Konawa, OK is now. Hookie was the bartender there for several years. In 1905, there were three of the deadliest towns in the west located in Oklahoma. Number one was a place called Violet Springs, which was west of Konawa and is a cemetery now. Number two deadliest town was Conner, where the Corner Saloon was lolcated. Number three was a place called Keokuk Falls which was located on the banks of the North Canadian River north of the I-40 and Seminole exit.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Fri February 02 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather, Tom Black, was a bootlegger who would go to the Corner Saloon and buy whiskey and take it across the river into Indian Territory and sell it where it was illegal. He told me that would take a wagon load at a time. Others would buy small bottles of whiskey and hide it in their boots and then sell them in the Indian Territory. The word bootlegger got its origin at the Corner Saloon.

posted Hide Post
Hookie Miller, while working at the Corner Saloon, shot and killed several men on different occasions in self defense. One day, after a bad flood caused a rancher to have to climb up into a tree to keep from drowning. When the water receded, Hookie Miller rode by and heard the man hollering for Hookie to help him get down. The two men did not like each other and so Hookie decided to shoot the man. This made my Grandfather, Tom Black, furious because the rancher was a friend of his. So he decided that he would kill Hookie. So he went to the Corner Saloon planning to kill Hookie. When he got there Hookie was not there. So he decided to wait there until Hookie came in. He sat there and waited all day but Hookie never came in. Finally, after consuming too much whiskey and getting very drunk, he gave up and went home. He never saw Hookie again. I believe if Hookie would have showed up he would have killed my Grandfather and I would not be here today writing this.

posted Hide Post
George "Hookey" Miller and Johnny "Two-Gun" Middleton were killed at Three Sands, Oklahoma, in a shoot-out with Jackson Burns, an oilfield worker . . . NOT an "outlaw".

As a supplement to their meager wages as local law-enforcement officers, Middleton and Miller extorted money from oil field workers in the oil patch . . . a sort of forced tribute to keep one from being arrested. They also solicited "donations" from the "joints" (saloons and dancehalls) operating under their jurisdiction.

Jackson Burns, a proud, hard-working Choctaw Indian, refused to pay; so, Middleton and Miller hauled him off to the hoosegow where they commenced to beat him until he agreed to pay. When Burns realized that he may not survive the beating, he agreed to contribute a small percent of his wages in the future. However, he only gave-in to save his life.

On Burns' next visit into town, Middleton and Miller spotted him sitting in a restaurant, trying to enjoy a meal. They knew that Burns had reneged on the agreement and had no intention of paying them their blood money; so, they went into the cafe to "arrest" him and give him a refresher course on the local customs of dealing with law enforcement. Burns defended himself, shooting and killing two of the toughest, meanest old west characters that ever bullied their way thru a small town.

Jackson Burns' employer, co-workers and other concerned citizens of Three Sands testified at his trial, telling of the many strong-arm tactics and violent natures of Middleton and Miller. Jackson Burns was acquitted!!!

Okc Times 7/21/1923 (p1c1) "Slayer Taken Into Custody at Blackwell"; Daily Oklahoman {Blackwell} 7/22/1923 (10/1) "Choctaw Held, Charged with Shooting Two"; Tulsa Daily {Blackwell} 7/22/1923 "Choctaw Indian Shoots Officers"; Okc Times {Ponca City} 7/23/1923 (7/1) "Assailant Held..."; Daily Oklahoman 7/24/1923 (4/3) "Slain Officer to be Buried in City"; Daily Oklahoman 7/24/1923 (5/3) "In Memorium"; Okc Times 7/24/1923 (2/2) "(Hookey Miller) Buried Here (Okc)" w/pic!

Also - from The Democrat Herald (Newkirk, OK):

7/26/1923 (p1c3) "Shoots Officers . . . ";
7/26/1923 (1/5) "John Middleton Died Sunday";
8/2/1923 (1/3) "Held for Murder . . . ";
8/9/1923 (1/4) "Burns is Held . . . ";
8/23/1923 (1/4) "Burns Out On Bond . . . ";
9/13/1923 (6/3) "Cases Set For Trial . . . ";
9/27/1923 (1/1) "Burns Case . . . To Jury";
10/4/1923 (1/2) "Burns Acquitted!"

Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post