OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    WALTER SPESS member of STARR GANG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WALTER SPESS member of STARR GANG
 Login/Join

posted
I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON WALTER SPESS. BROTHER JAMES SHOT AND KILLED DEPUTY ROBERT MOORE AT TERLTON BANK ROBBERY AND SUBSEQUENTLY WAS SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON. BROTHER FRED WAS FOUND SHOT DEAD AND WAS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN KILLED AT THE DIRECTION OF STARR, POSSIBLY BY AL DAVIS.

WALTER WAS LATER SHOT 5 TIMES AND THOUGHT TO HAVE DIED. HE LATER LEFT OKLAHOMA.
ANY INFORMATION ON WALTER SPESS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Fri July 10 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

This has been discuss in a previous response. But I found some information of the Spess gang in the El Paso Herald, dated January 14, 1915, which concerns the Terlton, Oklahoma bank robbery on January 12, in which $1,800 was taken and Deputy Bob Mooore was shot and killed. Also in The Tacoma Times, dated April 15, 1915, there's an article on Henry Starr. It states the gang robbed the bank at Baxter Springs, Kansas and the Keefer, [sic] Oklahoma bank of $6,400. The gang had some type of dispute over the division of the stolen loot. Imagine that! Fred Spess was shot and killed. His remains were later found by a posse and Joe Davis was soon apprehended for the crime. Davis was later acquitted of the murder. The article goes on to state that Jimmy Spess, an 18-year-old youth was arrested in Kansas. I hope this helps.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION; & SOURCES.
I KNOW DEPUTY MOORE'S FRIENDS AND FAMILY PUSHED HARD FOR JAMES SPESS TO GET THE DEATH PENALTY.
IT APPEARS THAT HIS AGE WAS WHAT SAVED HIM FROM THAT. WALTER SPESS WAS AN OLDER BROTHER. HE WAS NOT PRESENT AT THE TERLTON ROBBERY, BUT WAS ALSO ACTIVELY ROBBING BANKS FOR A LIVING. AT SOME POINT HE WAS SHOT UP SO BADDLY THEY THOUGHT HE WOULD'NT LIVE. HE WAS TAKEN TO NEW MEXICO AND TOOK ON A NEW NAME. LONG STORY HE BECAME A GOOD MAN AND LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, BUT IT TOOK THE DEATH OF A BROTHER, THE DEATH OF A GOOD LAWMAN AND FATHER (ROBERT MOORE) AND ALL THE MISERY CAUSED BY ROBBING INNOCED CITIZENS OF THEIR MONEY, ETC. AND NEAR DEATH BY SHOOTING TO FINALLY STRAIGHTEN HIM OUT! I AM LOOKING FOR SOME DETAIL ON WALTER SPESS GETTING SHOT.(ca. 1915-1916) ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Fri July 10 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post