Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buel Webb, The Pontiac Kid
 Login/Join

posted
Trying to document the family skeleton. Buell Webb was born around 1900 +- 5 yrs, possibly in OK where he lived much of his life. He robbed many banks in OK and surrounding states. His nickname came from his habit of stealing a new Pontiac for each robbery. I know he was arrested and served time but don't know when or where. Our stories came from a cousin who was married to Buell when they were young, Doris died several years ago in Bristow Ok at 102 yrs old. Can anyone tell me more and/or where to find info. Family tree searches haven't helped, perhaps because they disowned him. Appreciate any help you can give.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Carol,

Posts: 6 | Registered: Thu August 18 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What were Buell's parents' names? Was his middle initial "L"? Could he have been born in Tennessee?

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went through some letters from Buel's son's wife Joy, Buel was known as the Pontiac Kid, not Cadillac. Will edit earlier entries. Buel's middle name could be Lawrence. His son Larry is Virgil Lawrence Webb. Doris was born in 1901 so I expect Buell was around 1895-1900. This is copied from one of the letters from Joy.
Buel Webb, was an outlaw & bank robber & served 20 years in the penitentiary for bank robbery. He was known as the Pontiac Kid because he always stole a brand new Pontiac auto to use in his robberies. He was a pal of Pretty Boy Floyd & other noted Oklahoma outlaws.

posted Hide Post
Do you mind telling which penitentiary?

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mon December 29 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I just found it on a search. Missouri State Penitentairy, Jefferson, Cole Co, MO. On the 1930 census, line 61 it gives Buel Webb, 30 yrs, b. MO. Prisoner. This is the url: http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6...ell+Webb&pid=6193688

posted Hide Post
Just found Buel on the 1920 census in Euchee, Creek Co, Ok with wife Viola and son Virgil. I knew both by their middle names Doris and Larry so had no luck searching before. Still no info on his bank robberies.
After so many brick walls, more success. This CA death index entry should really help.
Name: WEBB, BUEL W
Social Security #: 440327664
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 16 Feb 1898
Birthplace: MISSOURI
Death Date: 6 Sep 1965
Death Place: SAN BERNARDINO
Mother's Maiden Name: ROOFENER
Father's Surname:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Carol,

Webmaster
posted Hide Post
The name of Buel Webb does not appear in the index to the book "Pretty Boy" by Michael Wallis. This is not the only good book on Floyd but it is one of the best. If Webb were known as a friend of Pretty Boy Floyd it probably would have been included in this book.

That said, new additions to history are discovered all the time. Keep up your research. Good luck!

Dee Cordry
dcordry@gmail.com
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post