OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Gangster era" (1907 - 1939)    Outlaws in NW OK Gloss Mtns about 1910
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlaws in NW OK Gloss Mtns about 1910
 Login/Join

posted
There is a family story told by a great uncle that I am trying to figure out.

He says that as a boy he would stay with his grandparents out in western Major county, they had homesteaded out in the Gloss Mtns, I am think somewhere just east of Bouse Junction...although I haven't been able to pinpoint the property location yet.

He tells of spending the night and during the night hearing a group of horses ride up, his grandma came in to keep him quiet. The next morning he went to the barn with his grandpa. Their herd of horses were all different horses and grandpa pulled a bag of money down from above the door.

He says this was a horse exchange between his grandfather and some outlaws. The outlaws were never identified in any story that I heard about this incident.

He was a small boy so, I am guessing this incident he tells of happened somewhere between 1909 and 1913, he was born in 1905.

My question is, does anyone have any idea who the outlaws might have been?...I know this is a broad question, but can anyone give me any ideas? Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sun March 20 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I believe you are referring to the "Glass Mountains" in Major County, Oklahoma. One of the bandits of that area was Zip Wyatt and Ike Black during 1895. However, this was before your date of 1905. The "Gloss Mountains" are farther north in Woods County, Oklahoma, which is just south of Alva, Oklahoma. I am not sure of any bandits roaming that area in 1905, but if you contact the Woods County Historical Society or OKGENWEB, they may shed some light for you on your request.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post