OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    USDM Andy Fryer and bloodhounds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USDM Andy Fryer and bloodhounds
 Login/Join

posted
Robert Ernst has good article in the latest Oklahombres Journal ("A Texas Lawman Enters Oklahoma--And Dies") which mentions USDM Andy J Fryer. This is of interest to me because USDM Fryer is mentioned in my great grandfather's (Captain JJ Kinney)diary as the keeper of a pack of bloodhounds loaned out to officers in the aftermath of crimes.

On September 15, 1891, Captain Kinney "got a message at 10 PM stating that No. 3 was held up by train robbers at Leliaetta at 9 Pm." The next day, he and Captain Leflore "got a posse of ten men and started after the train robbers at 11 AM. Took Andy Fryer's bloodhounds to Leliaetta but they would not take the trail."

I get the impression that bloodhounds were frequently used during those days. But does anybody have any impression on how successfully they were used?

--meursault

Posts: 215 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Art T. Burton>
posted
In my next book, a bio on Bass Reeves, there is a story that took place in the middle of the first decade of the 20th century. Reeves and a lawman who owned bloodhounds went out after an attempted murderer. It was so hot that the bloodhounds gave out. Reeves devined which way the outlaw went and caught him.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post