OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    United States Commissioners pre 1900
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United States Commissioners pre 1900
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reading old newspapers and came across the wording ""served as United States Commissioner in the Rock Island District in the Indian Territory"".

Could someone tell me where this district was? Where would the Commissioner have been housed?

I'm inclined to think it was the Duncan area. If this is correct, what was the area covered?

Where would one look to find out the begining appointment date and the end of a commissioner's term?

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rock Island crossed the western portion of the territory in 1889. Commissioner courts were set up at various railroad towns, Chickasha and Duncan notably.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've learned that the reference to United States Commissioner in my first post was in "the Chickasaw Indian Territory from 1893 to 1896 when he was removed due to infirmities".

I guess I'm still wondering how does a person confirm when/where a person served as a US Commissioner. What would the office of record in present day be?

Would these records be in the archives at Ft. Worth? Justice Department in DC? Just where does a person look to find these records?

Any suggestion welcome.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're scattered. The best source I've found is the local newspaper. In the Chickasaw Nation, the Administrative court of the Southern District of Indian Territory was located in Ardmore. The Ardmorite was pretty good about giving new postings for the Commissioner courts associated with the Ardmore court.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the name of the Commissioner you're looking for? I might have some information on him. Mike Tower and I are the US Commissioners collectors of Oklahombres. Ha! Ha!

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy's name is William Reason Reagan. Born in Sevier Co., TN in 1830; was in TX by 1845 and apparently made his way to IN TY sometime after 1881 - best guess is early 1890s.