New
Find
Notify
Tools

The trouble At Round Pond
 Login/Join

posted
North Enid, O.T.--June 25, 1894
The trouble at Round Pond is getting more serious every hour. The presence of US Marshals has not had the quieting effect desired. The crowd of citizens blew out the cattle guards on the outskirts of town Saturday night and warped the rails so that trains could nt pass for several hours. That trains were not ditched is due to the vigilance of the deputy marshals. Last night three people were shot. The mob attatcked the south bound passenger train that came through the town flying, with a hot fusillade of bullets from their Winchesters."

------
I couldn't keep from laughing as I read this, although I'm sure it wasn't funny back then.
What in the world was going on?

http://www.okgenweb.org/~okrog...am/sunbeamA01894.pdf

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were having a fight over the placement of the townsite, about a mile or so difference. The Rock Island placed a depot at one spot, their choice, and refused to stop the train as it came through the competing town site. They took matters into their own hands.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh, Tower. Thank you so much. They were a rowdy bunch!

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post