Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deputy Marshal
 Login/Join

posted
On the Okolha website, in Robert Kings "Oklahoma Marshals' Force", he states that Charles Taylor was killed in 1897 and he sources it as coming from Oklahombres. Can someone help me trace this, please? It may clear up one of my family's 'brick walls'.

Thank you

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mon February 19 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
King was probably referring to the book "Oklahombres." Unfortunately, my copy is on loan so I can't reference it. But most major libraries have a copy and it is available at most used book web sites.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that information. Can you give me the author of Oklahombres...there are several listed on Amazon.

posted Hide Post
The complete title of the book is "Oklahombres: Particularly the Wilder Ones." It is by Evett Dumas Nix, as told by Gordon Hines. Some books also list Gary L. Roberts under author. It was originally published by Eden Publishing House, St. Louis, 1929. The OU libraries has 14 copies available and as I said most other large libraries have at least one copy. If you are in Oklahoma, and your local library does not have a copy, they can get one through the State lending library system. There seems to be a hundred or more available from the on-line used book sellers, some below $15.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought and read Oklahombres; however, I couldn't find anything regarding Charles Taylor who died in 1897. Is there somewhere else that I might look?

Thanks,

posted Hide Post
King could just be referring to our organization Oklahombres in that he found mention of Taylor in an article or compilation of deputies we have published over the years.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Diron,

If anyone runs across this fellow, please let me know. We think he may well be our great grandfather.

Thank you so very much for your help,