OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Sentencing Records From Ft Smith
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sentencing Records From Ft Smith
 Login/Join

posted
I've been researching one of Judge Parker's cases from 1870. I have the case file which includes the witness statements and copies of the warrents issued. I also have a copy of the court proceeding Common Law Book)where a jury found this man guilty in November of 1870. But does anyone know of a source that includes the courts sentencing?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sun February 27 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
This is sort of a side issue, but I don't think Issac Parker was the judge in Fort Smith in 1870. I could be wrong, but I don't think he became judge there until 1875.

Dee Cordry
dcordry@gmail.com
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dee, Thank you for the heads up! You are correct! Parker did not take control at Ft Smith until 1875. But the question about the sentencing records is still there. Dee, do you know if these records still exist either in court documents or as reported in newspapers that copies albeitin microfilm still exist?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sun February 27 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the Ft. Smith Elevator published the sentencing assessed. Sometimes they didn't. You might send an email to the Ft. Worth National archives and ask if they have those records on microfilm. They told me one time that they did have some of the docket books on microfilm.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Common Law Record Books and Sentencing Books [both very sporadic in content] are held by the National Archives at Fort Worth, Texas. Also, I believe that OHS has microfilmed copies of some of these so you may check there first. Also, the Fort Smith Public Library has microfilmed copies in their collections.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post