Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawton Oklahoma killing
 Login/Join

posted
A man named George Ficklin was killed in Lawton after 1900. 1900 census has him in Texas. Supposedly, as the story goes, was in town to file on land, had some trouble with 2 men in town, that night they murdered him under his wagon as he slept. He is not buried in Lawton Cemetery. Family History has it happening in 1897 but since I found him in Texas in 1900, family history is off. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or an idea where I could start looking. Was told the papers don't go back that far.

Posts: 4 | Location: OK/MO | Registered: Thu January 20 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawton was open to settlement by lottery in August of 1901. Prior to the lottery the only thing in the area was Ft Sill. If the murder occurred during the opening there probably were not any newspapers operating, but the town had 3 or 4 very soon after opening. I would check with the Lawton Public Library and find out what is the earliest microfilm newspapers they have on file. Also, the first cemetery in Lawton was Highland Cemetery.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone already checked the newspapers for me and I checked the cemeteries. Is there a site where I can check those who entered the lottery? Maybe I could get a clue as to who was with him when he was killed. (if a familiar name also applied with him.) A Ms. Garrison also researched all Cemeteries and the earliest Newspaper she found was 1907. By 1910 his wife lists herself as a widow in the census so am reasonably sure that he died between 1900 and 1910.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JayWsNana,

Posts: 4 | Location: OK/MO | Registered: Thu January 20 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post