OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Location of Territorial Records
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Location of Territorial Records
 Login/Join

posted
It has come to my attention that the personal papers of Heck Thomas were donated to the Great Plains Museum in Lawton. Has anyone reading this board ever searched through that collection at that museum? Know what kinds of papers are in the collection? etc? etc?

In surfing several library/research centers I noted that the Glen Shirley personal papers are at the Dickerson Research Center at the Cowboy Hall of Fame. I've seen a partial index of what he had in his collection (in addition to all the books and movie posters). Anyone looked at his collection yet?

Two other places that I've been told might have some territorial records are the Cherokee Strip Museum in Perry and the No Man's Land Museum in Goodwell. Anyone ever been to these two locations for research purposes.

I'm trying to wind down on the research on the Dunn brothers who were connected to the Doolin gang. Going that distance in bad weather does not appeal to me but the thought of missing not finding something on the Dunns pushes me on. I'm going to call each place to talk to someone before I drive there but I would like some thoughts from others on this board. Now before anyone says the Goodwell Museum was too far away for the Dunns, it wasn't as two of the brothers lived in No Mans Land pre 1900 until after statehood.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have learned that the Glen Shirely Collection will not be available for approximately a year. They estimate it will be January 2008 before his papers will be available for research purposes. Should have called before I posted the previous query.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent a query to the Great Plains Museum to see what kinds of Heck Thomas Papers they might have. The response is as follows, including response to some of my other questions. The information they have on Heck Thomas is not as extensive as I was led to believe.

Mrs. J.B. Meeks, Heck Thomas' daughter, donated a few things (see below) to the Museum in 1978:
(4) typed copies of news accounts from Daily Oklahoman, 1935
(1) letter to Mrs. J.B. Meeks from Randolph Scott, returned Heck's badge (Nov. 14, 1960)
(2) documents, one original, one photocopy "making Heck Thomas Deputy U.S. Marshall" , signed by E.D. Nix (July 1, 1893)

We have early Comanche County Civil Appearance Docket books. We also have Superior and Civil Court records, the actual court cases that are folded up and in envelopes. They are filed by case number, and are not cross referenced by name (a good project for a volunteer.)

Our photographic collection include numerous images of early Lawton, including Heck Thomas. These are easier to search through, by card catalog and/or database.

We don't have a program or anything from Heck's funeral.

Our local bound newspapers start in 1916. Before that time, there is a scattering of newspapers here and there. There are some Lawton Constitution (newspapers) that include 1912."

posted Hide Post
great post , thanks for the info.

Posts: 32 | Location: oklahoma city | Registered: Sun November 13 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post