OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Bass Reeves and the Lone Ranger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bass Reeves and the Lone Ranger
 Login/Join

posted
This is an article I wrote that is in the July issue of True West Magazine.

http://www.truewestmagazine.co...nger#jacommentid:671

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice article Art. You should put that in the upcoming Journal.

Pam Paden Tippet

Posts: 30 | Registered: Tue August 08 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, Art. I have read that, or something similar that you wrote, before. I have a couple of your books, and find them very informative. Bass Reeves was likely the greatest lawman of the western era, and largely forgotten by history, until lately. I feel that a large part of his revival is due to you.

I first got interested in Bass several years ago, after reading arrest records out of Ft. Smith. Amazing how many were made by Bass. Hopefully, he will be better remembered in the future. Certainly by me, and I miss few opportunities to educate others about him. He was quite a man, and one that deserves to be recignised for his bravery, loyalty, intelligence and for the service he gave.

Dan

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Dan.

Hopefully the up-coming Marshall's Museum in Fort Smith will give Bass Reeves the notoriety that he deserves.

Pam Paden Tippet

Posts: 30 | Registered: Tue August 08 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan and Pam. The new museum will feature Reeves in their exhibit. They received a badge and pistol from a great nephew that supposedly belonged to Reeves. The greatest tribute, I believe, in Fort Smith will always be the Bass Reeves statue townfolks erected. I will be pleased and surprised if the new museum does anything special on Reeves. Although he deserves it. Someone needs to develop a quality movie on Reeves career. Hopefully one day this happens. Until then, there is always my bio on Reeves. (smile) Happy Trails!

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan what is the url for your forum?

posted Hide Post
More excellent work Art. I've been enjoying your writing and research since the publication of Black, Red, and Deadly, and you haven't lost a step. The facts presented in your article, particularly the Michigan connections, indicate strongly that Reeves could have inspired the character, and/or served as a major part of the composite. Further, your reference to Ellison's Invisible Man are both artful, and apropos.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed July 10 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art-e-mail me at baker7@ckt.net

I tried to e-mail you through the forum, but my mail said it was undelivered.

Dan

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ART I VISITED THE MUSEUM SHORTLY AFTER THE NEW OPENING & I TOOK THERE TOUR & THE TOUR GUIDE DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHO BASS WAS. THE GROUP KEPT ASKING THE GUIDE & HE COULDN'T ANSWER THEM & I sgared who all of the pictures on the banners were. I would hope they finally got that corrected. HERMAN

Posts: 13 | Registered: Thu March 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herman the badge and gun will be in the new U.S. Marshals museum in Fort Smith when it opens a few years from now. What museum did you visit?

posted Hide Post
Art I visited the FT. SMITH MUSEUM CONNECTED TO THE JAIL & JUDGE PARKERS COURT. I would hope they finally taught the tour guides who the large pictures were of. HERMAN

posted Hide Post
MARSHALS GET MUSEUM
The U.S. Marshals Museum planned for Fort Smith
Has received a $2 million grant from the Walton Family Foundation.
The $50 million museum plans to break ground Sept. 24, 2014 – The
225th anniversary of when President George Washington established
The marshals. A commemorative coin honoring marshals will go on sale
Then. Organizers said last month they expect coin sales to bring in
$5 million. Fort Smith was selected for the new marshal’s museum because
Of its frontier history. Outlaws and Lawmen went through Fort Smith on
Travels into and out of Indian Territory before Oklahoma statehood.
Another marshals museum was in Wyoming until 2002.The President and
CEO of the museum, Jim Dunn, said Monday the Walton Family Foundation
Has been enthusiastic about the plan.

posted Hide Post
I cannot agree with the article. Zane Grey wrote The Lone Ranger and dedicated the book to Texas Ranger John Hughes. The title alone is evidence that neither Bass nor any US Marshal was the inspiration for the character. It is The Lone Ranger, not the Lone Marshal. The argument that Bass inspired The Lone Ranger is not convincing. It's doubtful Zane had any knowledge of Bass at the time of writing the novel.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu September 19 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zane Grey wrote "The Lone Star Ranger" in 1915. It had nothing at all to do with the radio show "The Lone Ranger" which came out of Detroit, Michigan in 1933.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oklahoma Kid,

posted Hide Post
Fox News "Legends and Lies" series will feature Bass Reeves on Sunday, June 7, at 7pm CST in an episode titled "The Real Lone Ranger." I was interviewed for the episode. Later this summer Bass Reeves will be featured in an episode of "The Gunslingers" on the American Heroes Channel (AHC), formerly The Military Channel. I was interviewed for that documentary also.