New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milo Creekmore
 Login/Join

<Art T. Burton>
posted
May 27, 1893-A HOT HEADED MARSHAL KILLS A GOOD CITIZEN.
Tuesday last, a Marshal by the name of Creekmore, shot and instantly killed a Cherokee by the name of Loss Runyon. There are many rumors afloat regarding the particulars, and all bear evidence that the affair was a most brutal one. The most reliable information the Advocate can glean is that Creekmore was in love with Miss Runyon, a very pretty Cherokee maiden.
This was very distasteful to the parents especially Mr. Runyon, who bitterly opposed Creekmore and forbade his daughter to have anything whatever to do with him. Creekmore became very angry and made arrangements to have the young lady meet him. Runyon was notified of the scheme concocted by Creekmore to entice his daughter from home, and made preparations to meet the determined lovers and defeat their plan. At the appointed time of the meeting, Runyon appeared on the scene and offered a parent's objection. Creekmore began to shoot at him and continued until his bloody work was accomplished. It is said while Runyon was armed, he made no attempt to fire on his assailant. Runyon was a very quiet law abiding citizen and well respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Cherokee Council in 1877 and 1878-Cherokee Advocate.

Milo Creekmore who killed Loss Runyon in the Cherokee Nation, has been arrested and turned over to the U. S. Marshal at Fort Smith. (Van Buren Press-1893

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently that was not all the story...
CHEROKEE ADVOCATE: Milo Creekmore was married to Miss Cora Runyon last Sunday at the residence of his mother in Fort Smith. After the ceremony and dinner served, he was taken back to jail and the hopeful bride left to await the conclusion of the whole matter.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Tower-- I got your package today. It is appreciated, and I will put it to good use.. Thanks--------BUD

Posts: 3 | Registered: Tue July 27 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is all I have on Milo Creekmore.

Everett Milo Creekmore was born on October 21, 1870 in Crawford County, Arkansas. In 1880, he was living with his parents and siblins in Vine Prairie Township, Crawford County, Arkansas where his father was farming. He was a son of Deputy U.S. Marshal R.B. Creekmore. He was a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas from May 1889 to October 1892. On October 11, 1892, Creekmore and fellow marshals, William Bouden, David Rusk, and Charlie Copeland cornered Ned Christie in the Cherokee Nation. After a gunfight where three of the marshals were wounded, Christie managed to escape. Following his law enforcement career, he fell in with the Henry Starr Gang and robbed two stores with Starr for which he was arrested and taken to Fort Smith. He made bond and, while out awaiting trial, shot and killed the father of his sweetheart, Cora Runyan. The father had objected to the courtship and, while the two were together at her aunt's home, the father rode up with a gun in his hand. Creekmore gave himself up at Fort Smith and was tried on the robbery and murder charges, being acquitted on the murder charge and found guilty on the robbery charges. He was sentenced to five years in the Kings County Penitentiary at Brooklyn, New York. While awaiting trial at Fort Smith, Cora Runyan and Creekmore were married in the jail on October 22, 1893. It is believed they never had children and Cora died shortly thereafter as Creekmore married Alma Louise Yarbrough on September 2, 1902 in Texas. In 1910-1930, he was living with his wife and two children in Cherokee County, Texas where he was a locomotive engineer. Creekmore died on May 10, 1931 in Clawson, Cherokee County, Texas. He was buried in Hope Cemetery in Wells, Texas.
**REFERENCES**
-1880 Federal Census, Vine Prairie Township, Crawford Co., AR, ED#48, Pg.46B
-1910 Federal Census, Cherokee Co., TX, ED#34, Sheet#7A, Stamped#15
-1920 Federal Census, Justice Precinct 8, Cherokee Co., TX, ED#326, Sheet#12B
-1930 Federal Census, Justice Precinct 8, Cherokee Co., TX, ED#37-34, Sheet#10A,
Stamped#276
-One World Tree Project, ancestry.com
-Bixby [Oklahoma] Historical Society List of Early Area Lawmen & Outlaws
-Deadly Affrays: The Violent Deaths of the U.S. Marshals, by Robert Ernst, pg. 88-89
-Iron Men, by C.H. McKennon, pg. 124, 126
-Guns and the Gunfighters, pg. 43
-Law West of Fort Smith, by Glenn Shirley, pg. 60
-The Last Cherokee Warriors, by Phillip W. Steele, pg. 94-95
-Fort Smith National Historic Site Federal Employee Database, 1872-1896
-Fort Smith Case File, Henry Starr, John Wilson, Milo Creekmore, Alfred Chaney, #68, 1893
-Fort Smith Case File, Milo Creekmore, #348, Liquor, 1898 [Not obtained]
-Fort Smith Case File, Milo Creekmore, #314, Larceny, 1892 [Not obtained]
-Fort Smith Case File, Milo Creekmore, #326, Larceny, 1892 [Not obtained]
-Fort Smith Case File, Milo Creekmore, #326, Assault, 1892 [Not obtained]
-Fort Smith Case File, Milo Creekmore, #286, Murder, 1893 [Not obtained]
-"Morning World Herald", Omaha, Nebraska, October 13, 1892
-"Daily Review",, October 13, 1892
-"Cherokee Advocate", May 27, 1893
-"Van Buren Press", c. May 27, 1893
-"Tecumseh Herald", December 30, 1893
-"Brooklyn Daily Eagle" [Brooklyn, New York], May 5, 1894

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great grandfather, Milo Creekmore had 8 children, the first died at birth.
They are as followed:
Thelma Creekmore, born and died Feb. 23,1904
Thomas Vannoy Creekmore, born March 17,1906
Pinckney Brown Creekmore,born August 21,1909
Marion E. Creekmore, Born October 30,1912
Alma Adal Creekmore, born October 10,1914
Edward Milo Creekmore, born January 23,1917
John Arthur Creekmore, born October 23, 1920
Dixie Newman Creekmore, born January 4,1924

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu March 29 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great grandmother was Cora Runyon. I see in one posting that shortly after she married Milo Creekmore she died, which is not correct. She had 5 sons the first born in 1895, the last in 1905. My grandfather was Chute (TL) Miller.Cora married Frenchy Miller I think 1895 or 1896. The first son was born March 12 1895.His Name was Robert Jackson Blythe. It was thought that maybe he was Milo's son. There is still a living son of Roberts. Did DNA testing. Did not match the Creekmores. Cora died around Sept. 1924 she is buried in the citizens cementary fort gibson.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Tue August 28 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Penny Creekmore:
My great grandfather, Milo Creekmore had 8 children, the first died at birth.
They are as followed:
Thelma Creekmore, born and died Feb. 23,1904
Thomas Vannoy Creekmore, born March 17,1906
Pinckney Brown Creekmore,born August 21,1909
Marion E. Creekmore, Born October 30,1912
Alma Adal Creekmore, born October 10,1914
Edward Milo Creekmore, born January 23,1917
John Arthur Creekmore, born October 23, 1920
Dixie Newman Creekmore, born January 4,1924

Thelma's name was Thelma Louise.
Milo's wife, Lou Alma Yarbrough Creekmore, had uremic poisoning at the time of Thelma's birth.
Apparently, that was why the baby died.
This is according to Dixie, my mother.
Lou Alma changed her name to "Alma Louise", at Milo's request, because he disliked the name "Lou Alma".
She raised my sister, Donna Marie, and me.
We all called her "Mama".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SC Ayers,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue May 02 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post