Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiley McIntosh
 Login/Join

posted
Searching for any info on Indian Territory lawman Wiley McIntosh. He was active in the 1890s.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Art

In my research at Fort Sill, I came across many mentions of a Deputy U.S. Marshal G.W. McIntosh. This was during the mid-late 1870s. Any chance he could be the same man? I have also seen the name of Gov McIntosh as a deputy out of Fort Smith as well around this time.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary/Editor Oklahombres Journal

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of items on Wiley:
Harrison, John, I&P Files: "Each tribe had their own laws and Police. In the Creek Nation they had an organization known as the Light Horsemen. The Nation was divided into three districts and in each district was a Squad of Light Horsemen of five, and one of these five was the Captain. I recall some of them as being John Sixkiller, Wiley McIntosh, George McIntosh and John West. The Judge of the Court was Judge Reed, a colored man and he held Court in the one-room log cabin at Lee Post that I have spoken of as now being a ghost town. If the Light Horsemen picked up a prisoner for any offense he would be taken before Judge Reed. Minor offenses were usually paid out, but like stealing, or what we would call petit larceny, if found guilty would be sentenced to be whipped at the Whipping Post; for the first offense the prisoner would get twenty-five lashes. For the second offense fifty lashes, and for the third offense he would be shot. For the crime of murder he was always shot. Yes, I remember some who were whipped to the post particularly one by the name of Charlie Adams and others namely, Sonny Grayson, Tom Canard and many others. There was one shot as I recall it for killing his wife or his neighbor's wife, I forget which, by the name of Jerry Stidham."
and:
Fort Gibson Post, June 30, 1898: Marshal Bennett with his efficient deputies, Jas Rector, Dick Downing, Jake Barker, Wiley McIntosh and Geo Mitchell passed through last Friday from Tahlequah to Muskogee with twenty-five prisoners.

There was also a Wiley McIntosh who was a member of the Creek Council in 1898 and a Wiley McIntosh, freedman member of the House of Warriors and a Wiley who was a Confederate War Vet. Don't know if any of these are the man you're interested in.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tower, from what I have seen Wiley was a Creek Freedman. There were a number of Creek Freedmen who had served with the Confederate Army in the Indian Territory. It is a good possibility he was one of them. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post