Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Marshals Museum
 Login/Join

posted
As many of you know, Ft. Smith, AR is among the finalists for the location of the US Marshals museum. I certainly think Ft. Smith would be the logical place to house such a facility. In order to support this proposed location, a Ft. Smith steering committee will be presenting the case for Ft. Smith to the US Marshals Service in the near future. The committee has asked that individuals and groups show their support by writing letters or passing resolutions which will be included in a briefing book to be presented to the site selection officials. Correspondence should be addressed to:

John Clark, Director, US Marshals Service
US Marshals Service Headquarters
Washington, DC
Attention: Assistant Director Michael Pearson, ESD

For inclusion in the briefing documents, the letters or petitions should be sent (by June 15) to:

Tracy Winchell
PO Box 1908
Ft. Smith, AR 72901
twinchell@fsark.com
Fax: 479 784 2430

I'll certainly be writing such a letter. If anybody wants to, send me your name and I'll include it as a signature in my own letter of support.

--meursault

Posts: 215 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cedrtainly include me:
Kevin Koloff
5380 E. 26th Pl.
Tulsa, Ok 74114

Posts: 9 | Location: tulsa, ok. usa | Registered: Sat January 31 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering,has anything further come of this?

Posts: 47 | Location: Pawnee | Registered: Fri June 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest news is that two communities are now being considered, Ft. Smith and Staunton, VA. Later this month the selection committee will again visit Ft. Smith, and shortly after that we can expect a decision.

--meursault

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.; my biased oppinion hopes that Ft. Smith obtains it.

Posts: 47 | Location: Pawnee | Registered: Fri June 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a short update on the Museum. The selection committee was in Stanton, VA a few weeks ago and is currently (Nov 6-10) in Fort Smith. I am scheduled to speak to the committee tomorrow at 2:30pm in reference to Fort Smith.

Bob Ernst

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sun October 02 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I and 800 other Ft. Smithians braved cold winter rains and gathered for a BBQ luncheon promoting our city to the museum selection committee. The event was an unqualified success. The committee expressed interest in hearing from decendants of the Marshals, and those in attendance included relatives of Marshals Yoes, Grimes, and Issac Parker himself, along with many decendants of Deputy Marshals. Outlaws were represented by a relative of Blue Duck. Bass Reeves (and Oklahombres member Art Burton) were prominently mentioned in connection with a project to erect a statue of him (Bass, not Art) at the foot of the Garrison Street bridge. I had an opportunity afterward to speak very briefly to Michael Pearson, the head of the selection committee, and he seemed most impressed.

--meursault

posted Hide Post
Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma are proud to announce that our region is to become the new home to the United States Marshals Service Museum.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2007/010407.htm

We DID it!!!

Thanks to Westerners International - Fort Smith Corral. Thanks to Art Burton, to the members of this site. To Bob Ernst. Thanks to descendants and to history aficionados.

And thanks to the men and women of the Service -- especially those who worked tirelessly on this committee.

We have lots of work to do. For now, we celebrate. Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu January 04 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good! In my biased oppinion this is an excellent decision.

posted Hide Post
Definitely a wise choice and in my "unbiased" opinion...THE ONLY CHOICE! Fantastic!

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great News!

Nice going to all those who worked on it (and are and will be working on it).

You done good.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post