OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Al THOMPSON, Deputy US MARSHAL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Al THOMPSON, Deputy US MARSHAL
 Login/Join

posted
Hey there, Oklahombres! This is my first post and I'm excited to be a part of this community.

LOOKING FOR INFO RE: Dep Marshal Al Thompson and Henry Thompson

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am currently researching and developing a series for TV based on my relative's transcript and expressed version of of this time in our country.

While researching a different relative who was an influential Chickasaw citizen and lawyer, I made for a deep dive into the OU/Hist Society's Indian Pioneer Papers and ran across an "Al Thompson" interview. By the transcript, the man interviewed is my 2nd great uncle. His life, as told, is fascinating, but there are some details I'm having difficulty confirming.

He mentions time as a Texas Ranger and then a Dep US Marshal for Parker's Court in the Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Cherokee nations. His given name in the earliest census records and family trees is "ALBERT GRANT THOMPSON" but changes to "ABNER" and then later to "Al."

Here are some things I'm very curious about and I'm hoping it will trigger an association with someone or a few of you here:

- 1889, he added to his "...Delaware Headright and once owned 1500 acres, worth about $30,000. My brother killed a man and that broke -" The transcript CUTS OFF! The copy shows something was not copied over correctly, but I don't know what.
- He has brothers: George, Harry/Henry, Charles/Chas/Charley
- There is a Kansas Penitentiary mugshot of a Charley Thompson with many aliases around 1900. Arrests for forgery and larceny and then manslaughter in the OT. This is my working theory.
- He mentions hunting the Cook Gang with Bud Ledbetter
- He mentions an army of black men who had camped on the Verdigris River and were wanting to prove their Cherokee Blood. Lead by Ed Campbell as the General and his brother, Charlie, as Lieutenant. He says he took a canon from Ft Smith and "obtained another, made by a blacksmith, from Coffeyville." This rings of what Marshal Paden Tolbert obtained when he and Heck Thomas went after Ned Christie at his fort.
- There are writings mentioning a HENRY THOMPSON involved with Paden Tolbert. Anyone heard of him?

There's lots of other fascinating stuff, one event being his great uncle, Sanford Godfrey, "split open an Osage man's head with an ax." and the payment made to free him. He then later died under Custer in the Indian Wars. I can't find any info on this killing either, but don't expect I will.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- Justin C Godfrey

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Wed June 26 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post